1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic convertor stolen from 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NoMoShocks, Mar 22, 2021.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I see there are hundreds of posts on catalytic convertor replacement, but I am really pressed for time so I hope no one will shame me for asking for a synopsis as follows:

I have heard of costs for dealer to replace as high as $2000 and seen convertors on Amazon as low as $120. Insurance deductible is $500, so wondering if the $120 cheap catalytic convertor and a $50 Denso 234-4233 oxygen sensor (I believe Scotty Kilmer says those are the original OEM) will cause me issues in the long run?

I am not in California, so no CARB regulation to use registered OEM.

The whole car is only worth $2500 wholesale.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A friend of mine had his stolen from his 2004. $900 was the replacement quote. Sold as junk, the car (220,000 miles with a pack that's about 3 years old) can get $635. Sadly, the choice will likely be to sell it.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If not mistaken, @PriusCamper recently installed a none plug and play OEM/Denso upstream air/fuel sensor. Might still be testing it.

@TMR-JWAP has tried a bunch of the $120+ Canadian cats, using the 'advanced search' may get his best fit. They should all "work".

4. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About 8 years ago, I had the OEM off the car and in storage while I was considering what to do about the rusted through connector that connects to the muffler. I bought a cheap cat from Rock Auto: EASTERN CATALYTIC 40712 EPA / Federal Compliant; ECO III Catalyst. The cost back then was about 120.00. Today the cost is 359.00. All I can say is that the off the shelf unit was plug and play - passed inspection for a few years with flying colors. The problem is that the unit is only good for 50,000 miles. There is a warranty for replacement for a free unit (Back then it was 3 years 50,000 miles) but I didn't bother as I would have to remove it from the car, pay to ship it back to Rock Auto and wait for a replacement. I just put the OEM unit back on the car and been driving it since. The Eastern cat that came off the car was a mess. everything was rusted through - the cats, the pipes... everything!
    Overall, it's a decision you have to make. You could replace with the aftermarket and just sell the car. There are slightly cheaper options. Walker makes a cat that fits for approximately 297.00 but I have no experience with that particular unit.