1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic shield from Todd's Garage?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by exhuman, Mar 14, 2022.

1. exhuman

exhuman Member

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You may want to put a shield over another part of the car.

Priuses have an itty-bitty little gas tank, but pretty soon 10 gallons of gas will be worth MORE than the cat......

People stealing gas from cars resort to siphoning, drilling holes in tanks as prices hit all-time high in US - ABC7 Chicago

@ Cat shields:
    They slow people down, but IMHO pretty soon all of the easy fruit will have been plucked from the lower branches.
    I only skimmed the article but IMHO no bolt-on solution is going to slow down a catnapper to the point where it takes 15 minutes to remove a cat.
    That's fairly dishonest advertising.

As long as property crime is seen as a "ticketable offense' and some states perpetuate $1500 catalytic converter replacement then you're going to be at risk from a catnapper.
    With a $250 shield, you DO make yourself a harder target....accomplishing what counter-terrorism experts call "screwing your neighbor."

---Just remember that an aluminum shield pop-riveted onto your car only makes it a LITTLE harder to steal, and remember also that someday authority figures ARE going to peek under the car.
    MAKE SURE that they can tell that you still have an OEM cat under the shield.

#2 ETC(SS), Mar 14, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    alanclarkeau and exhuman like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hopefully gen 3 and 2 versions coming. If you wanted to cobble, from the video it looks to be a HEAVY gauge bent plate at the underside, and a U-Bolt 'round back of the exhaust pipe. Likely also has more bolts/nuts, so it can't be shifted/rotated.

upload_2022-3-14_10-4-12.png

#3 Mendel Leisk, Mar 14, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  4. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I have a miller cat shield, and I had an incident in which the dealership wanted to charge me $175 to remove and put back on to access the cat for a heat exchange repair. It's about an hour to install myself and 45 minutes to remove to avoid the charges. Something easier to work around and install/remove would be nice, but the level of install protection this todd's garage protect isn't to the level of the miller cat.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe by 5th gen Toyota will wake up, “harden” the cut points. I think it could be done, but nah.

exhuman likes this.
  6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noted before - in 5+ years of reading Gen 4 Posts on PRIUSCHAT - Gen 4 Catalytic Converters just aren't being stolen. In that 5 years, only one has been reported - and that was a 2nd hand report.

The main Catalytic Converter - you either have to remove the body or the Engine to access. Yes, there is a tiny one underneath - but, as noted - they're not of interest to serious thieves.

exhuman likes this.