1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catch Can - Cold Weather Condensation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rickhub, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Rickhub

Rickhub Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to install a catch can on my 2014 Prius. The car has 82,000 miles. I live in an extremely cold weather climate and somewhere I've seen a comment about condensation freezing and restricting flow. What's the likelihood of this happening and if high how might I prevent it? I don't want to do more harm than good by installing the can. Would really appreciate any comments both pro and con. Thanks!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've heard this too, and not sure. If the OCC inlet and outlet are at the top, and there's a decent sized reservoir for captured goop below, maybe it won't matter if it's frozen at the bottom, as long as there's air passage between inlet and outlet. That's assuming a hose doesn't get ice clogged, which I doubt.

Where you locate it might be a factor too: closer to the engine could help, at least once it's warming up.

I've never noticed a problem, but then I'm on the wet coast.

Try it, with an install that's relatively easy to delete?

3. Rickhub

Rickhub Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you Mendel, I've seen several of your posts - you are a huge asset to the group. Upon further research, I've seen a few guys indicate that they feel the length of the hoses contributes to the condensation issue. One poster mentioned he disconnects it in the winter. I suppose you could just pull the hoses at the can in the winter and insert a connector but this defeats the purpose. Should the hose or can get plugged would it throw a code before any damage is done? Rick

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure.

One thing: in stock condition there is a short U-shaped hose between the PCV valve in the engine block and the intake manifold. It seems to me if you want to reduce the freezing risk, have the OCC as close as practical to this location, and keep hose extensions to the can short.

I mounted mine on a bracket on the lower front cross-beam*; with the original U-shaped hose cut at the middle, barb splicers and short runs of fuel line added, at most a foot extension.

It's most easily accessible from below, which I do in conjunction with oil changes. May or may not work for you.

* Connection to the lower cross beam should be "soft"; that beam needs to flex, in particularly if you're using the front/centre jacking point, which is on it's underside. I put rubber gaskets between the bracket I added and the top of the beam, and installed the mounting hardware just finger-tight and locked.

5. Rickhub

Rickhub Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I could certainly consider mounting it lower with shorter hoses. The unfortunate thing is given the cold climate I do not do my own oil changes in the winter and to get an oil change shop to mess with a catch can might be like pulling teeth. Right now I guess I'm on the fence on the catch idea can given my climate.

6. Paul E. Highway

Paul E. Highway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’m happy with my OCC on front cross beam as well. Cut the U shaped hose between the PCV and intake manifold in half, splice in rubber hoses to/from the OCC, and you’re in business.

I used a Moroso clamp and some hose clamps to secure OCC to cross beam, easy to empty when under the car.

7. Coots

Coots Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock! | Page 113 | PriusChat

8. Victorine

Victorine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my opinion there are several things you can do to mitigate problems associated with frozen OCCs:
    - locate the OCC LOWER than PCV valve, in a position to allow
    - using short hoses oriented down towards the OCC and prevent fluid to stagnate in the hoses and freeze or return to PCV valve
    - consider insulating the hoses and OCC with polyurethane-type foam insulation for pipes (a version of Prius uses such insulation on the original PCV hose to inlet manifold)
    - proper choice of OCC, the ones with sintered bronze filters on the OUT port might be more efficient, but I think they are also more prone to freeze
    - use an OCC with increased capacity
    - use an OCC with bottom drain valve to allow more frequent discharge during the cold season, maybe from under the car
    - finally, use an easy-to-delete setup for emergency situations. I carry in the trunk the original PCV hose and a very basic set of compact tools
    Last but not least, there is a second ventilation hose on the top engine cover, which I think will work as a failsafe device to prevent pressure buildup. In my car this hose is dry after driving with OCC (sintered bronze filter type) in -8 degrees Celsius for a couple of days, but than again, OCC was only mounted a few days before the test.

#8 Victorine, Mar 6, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2023