1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Category for Hyundai?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by CamryDriver, Feb 6, 2018.

1. CamryDriver

CamryDriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ford, Honda, Nissan and even Mitsubishi have their own category, why not Hyundai?

For my money Hyundai sells one of the more interesting hybrids. The Ioniq is pretty darn cool. No lead acid 12VDC. Push a button to jump start itself. Lifetime traction battery warranty. One of the best MPG ratings. Highly rated Infotainment. Low cost. Seems worth talking about. I might get one for the wife someday.

The also have the Sonata Hybrid which by all accounts is a decent vehicle.

Erik Owens likes this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Back in the day - it took ages just to get a Lexus Forum, so that's just the way the cookie crumbles. As mentioned previously, saying a warranty is Lifetime on a battery is just doublespeak because all batteries lose capacity. Now, once the warranty's boilerplate says how much capacity can be lost, only then does it become a real warranty. Otherwise who knows how close to dead a battery could be before the manufacture says "sorry, it still got some life left in it". Thus, instead of a warranty, that becomes more of a misleading statement then anything else.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What does lifetime warranty mean?

1. The battery is warranted until it dies, then its life has ended and so has your warranty.

2. The car has over 100K miles on it and has exceeded its expected useful lifetime so your warranty has now ended

Definitions matter.

EDIT: Apparently, for 2017 models, definition 2 applies, at least to subsequent owners. They still do not define "lifetime" for the first owner. BTW, if you ever have it services outside the US, your lifetime warranty is now void. No traveling to Canada to visit @Tideland Prius or @Mendel Leisk !
    upload_2018-2-6_7-57-33.png

From Assurance | America’s Best Warranty | Hyundai USA

#3 Prodigyplace, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  4. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Camry is my second Hybrid. I kept my first hybrid 12 or 13 years which was long enough to need a traction battery. While I'm sure you are correct that definitions matter, I expect the car will eventually throw OBD2 codes regarding the battery. If you get a dead battery code, your battery is going dead. That is how it worked on my first hybrid anyhow.

The real problem is when the warranty has a specific cutoff and the battery is getting marginal near the cutoff date. They just have to nurse it past the cutoff and you are screwed. Lifetime rather implies no cutoff, at least to the original owner. This is a benefit.

I'm sure they had some bean counters look at data that told them that most people do not keep a car long enough to outlast the expected battery life. They are not expecting to need to make good on this warranty very often. Still the rare person who keeps one long enough to drive the wheels off of it could benefit.

5. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My grandfather had a Follis bicycle with a "lifetime warranty". When it got all rusty he went back for a warranty claim. They told him that the warranty was for the lifetime of the metal and that since it was rusty he had exceeded the term of the warranty. He was a little upset...

We had a lifetime warranty on a roof but the company went out of business so no warranty when it started leaking.

#5 CamryDriver, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2018
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    One can expect a code - but history shows it won't happen. Ask any early Honda Hybrid owner, who, began getting worse & worse & worse gas mileage. That's because the capacity started going down. That's because you'd have less & less capacity to do its part for efficiency as the packs began to degrade. But hey....yea your battery is still a battery. Dealerships simply tried to BS complaining owners saying "you must be driving more aggressively". It took litigation to work settlements. So much for codes.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To return to the original question, I am also puzzled about why there is no category for Hyundai given that the Ioniq is considered an attempt to outdo the Prius.

CamryDriver likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are a number of hundeye threads here, mostly iunique. i'm not sure what forum, other hybrids?
    when danny was steering the ship, there were going to be more forums.now that he's gone, i'm not sure the mods have the privilege.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    whaaat?!?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't look at me, i'm just an innocent bystander.:sneaky:

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    If it's too OT then p.m. ~ otherwise what's the skinny?! or who do i have to yack at to be in the loop ...

12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know at least one moderator has been able to contact Danny on occasion recently.
    We have not seen him here in a l o n g time though.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Maybe Danny is just busy getting all those Prius chat store orders out in a timely fashion now.

I think I've made up, & given away more of the Prius chat.com bumper stickers than the store ever mailed out.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should take over, lbo.;)

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yeah, because I don't get yelled at enough for being on PC. Dragging the topic back on topic, it took me well over a year to get the Lexus SUV hybrid set up as an individual column. No, I won't say what I had to do.

16. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a thread on Prius v. Ioniq on the "evs" board, but my guess is that a new category would bring more comments about the Ioniq.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  18. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model: