1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cats' ecological pawprints

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Apr 24, 2017.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Podcast by a bird conservationist:

Killer Cats Bash Biodiversity - Scientific American

Buzzkill potential here is about medium-high. But probably safe if you listen during a moment of irrational exuberance.

iplug likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why do we like certain birds, and dislike others? it's almost like racism. cats are cute, but only to a certain extent.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I used a scaffolding tower in Tennessee to collect atmospheric deposition. Vultures used it for pooping (possibly also regurgitating food). I had to scrub some Bad Stuff of that tower. Other than that, I like birds OK.

Who (else) doesn't like birds? Cassowaries can disembowel you with one good kick but for the most part they are ex-dinosaurs oozing lovability.

Another tack: bird-hate is based on envy. They fly. Hollow bones and two-way lungs! Suck it, mammals!

Domestic felines span the range from cute to evil slashers. Linked podcast suggests more heavy weighting towards the latter.

RCO likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some birds are very docile, while others most aggressive. cardinals and goldfinch are sweet, but blue jays an purple finch are obnoxious. morning doves are obnoxious.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Mourning doves, if you please :)

Usta have caged doves in Puerto Rico. Cats also on staff found a way to get in there, with predictable results.

For me there are 3 bird families putting effort into 'the brain thing'. Jays crows and parrots (scientific names on request). May have little bearing on why they are liked or not.

RCO likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mourning, you say? no wonder they don't respond when i yell at them to get off the feeder.
    crows are obnoxious, and they think they are so smart.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More thread drift ---
    Also, very agile combat fliers, but not much meat. Thus, an ammunition maker's dream, because it takes an inordinate amount of shotgun ammunition to harvest a decent meal.
    Because they are smart. Tests have found their counting ability to exceed that of some humans (specifically, my dad).
    That applies to some mammals too. E.g., slaughtering horses for meat is mostly prohibited here, or shamed into non-existence, but not so for cattle. Why? I spent a good chunk of the past two months watching for, and caring for, dad's newborn calves (and their parents). While not actually opposed to eating some of them (after growing up to market weight), I just don't see why they rank lower on the public totem poll than do horses. They are equally cute and cuddly. And after walking among them and interacting with them every few hours over long periods, it becomes clear that they really aren't all that dumb or lacking in individual personality. Just like the Gary Larson cartoon, when people are not paying attention to them.

RCO, Trollbait, iplug and 1 other person like this.
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Dove flight. Often I've wondered why falcons don't do more in urban environments with abundant nest sites and all those doves. Maybe just too much effort.

Smart birds. Three families, as above. It's spooky what can be done with a few brain grams.

Eat mammals. Horse flesh is quite the thing in France. Donkeys (and just about everything else) here in the middle kingdom. You want cuddly? Get a baby goat. Man oh man. I find no logically defensible rules for mammal-phagy.

RCO and fuzzy1 like this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the falcons have been around far longer than humans with firesticks, so it seems the survival reflexes or instincts ought to be better against the former threat than the later. And considering how expertly doves dodge and weave when they see a shotgun ...

RCO likes this.
  10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    dodge and weave@9. I admit to making a blowgun. Long ago, maybe not even illegal then, and statue of limitations long since expired. In the clear on this one :)

It could send a nail with paper tailcone out the backside of drink can at 10 meters. Oh yes. I did blow a dart or two in the direction of crows and their defensive maneuvers impressed me.

RCO likes this.
  11. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for posting on this important topic. Excellent audio discussion. Just ordered his book on Amazon.

The science is clear, so it's unfortunate to see the profound negative externalities of outside cats juxtaposed with how widely societies around the world support this problem. I have found many otherwise bright folks to be rather passionate about cats such that its nearly impossible to have a rational discussion about the issue.

I was just pondering this while on vacation on Oahu last week, seeing numerous cats roaming unchecked. A park ranger at Hanauma Bay touched on the topic as a cat walked by, but public sentiment seems to obviate rational policy making on the matter.

Cats should be treated like dogs. Our society has a special affection for both, and outside dogs require leashes among other reasonable measures.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Wow, you bought the book.

Cats (and rats) introduced to remote islands are very powerful ecological filters. Marra's point.

I may have said around here before that some hard-core ornithologists simply shoot feral cats if they see them.

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Also in Tennessee, I (da wif actually) rescued a near-death cat who recovered to become quite the bird killer. We overfed that one to a state of extreme corpulence so that it stopped 'filtering'.

Perhaps that could be a model - love your (bird-killing) kitty? Make it so, so fat....

RCO and fuzzy1 like this.
  14. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    FatCat.jpg
    I could live with that. Plus more business for the vets, the insulin pharmaceutical industry...

RCO likes this.
  15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Yeah like that. I don't have a photo of 'Stumpy'. She 'presented' with a crushed, gangrenous tail and malnutrition. Veterinarian first said "If you can improve this wreck in a week I'll do general anesthesia".

RCO likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Got a comic version on the subject over here.
    How much do cats actually kill? [Infographic] - The Oatmeal
    To paraphrase some forgotten comedian, "rats know they are just a bushy tail away from being loved."

As a cat lover, I am against letting cats go outside. Not only is it bad for local wildlife, but it is also dangerous for cats out there.
    I haven't kept abreast of it, but years ago, Hawaiian were far more concerned about the introduced Jackson's chameleons being a threat to native birds than cats. Concerned to the point that they started eradication programs, and banned the export of the lizards for the pet trade. Which shifted pressure back to Africa where the individuals were less likely to survive the capture and transport to the mainland US.

Better to shoot a cat to save some birds than to shoot one just for fun.

Until we got our current dog, we had to clean our fat cat's butt due to a lack of her not being able to reach it herself.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my doc just told me her dachshund catches several animals per day. rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, and birds are no problem for him either.
    the dog is locked in the back yard, i thought these animals were smarter. i didn't ask about crows though.

RCO likes this.
  18. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Except for protection, not a fan here of shooting vertebrates for purposes other than food. Would imagine a robust program to catch, sterilize, and keep indoors for the rest of their natural lives could work.

That's one exceptionally agile dachshund. My grandparents had a couple and they couldn't catch anything to save their own lives.

We had beagles when I was a kid who were outside dogs, fenced in to our backyard. The only thing they got their snouts on were a couple of our chickens which they personally delivered to our back door. They wondered why we were not so proud of them.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what i said to her, we also had a couple dories', they wouldn't even bark if someone broke into the house.:cool:

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yeah, our previous dogs have caught rabbits in the yard. Now we have to the fence the garden.