1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catstrap Catalytic Anti-Theft Help Needed for Installation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wpaxt, Aug 6, 2019.

1. wpaxt

wpaxt Junior Member

Hi everyone. My 2005 Prius had its catalytic converter stolen in Eagle Rock recently. I've since had it replaced but have been warned that my car has now been marked by the thieves and it will happen again if I don't get some sort of protection. I want to get a Catstrap but am unable to install it myself. Can anyone recommend a shop in the Los Angeles area that could do this for me? I'm told by the manufacturer that there is a shop that does in this in Culver City but I have been unable to find the shop in my internet searches.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

2. Calimobber

Calimobber Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Do you part on the street or in a driveway ? can you get put a camera on the car? Id think they would avoid your car since your already on high alert.

Sorry no help on the install.

3. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just got everyone a nice discount of 5% at CatStrap.net

Just enter discount code azusa.

I have my eye on the CatEye alarm system.

4. OC63RAG

OC63RAG Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check Craigslist, FB Marketplace and Offerup. Many shops advertise on those for cat shields. There should be someone close by that can do it.

greengoblin68 likes this.
  5. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    #5 alftoy, Nov 3, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  6. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's at least 1 picture posted on PriusChat of a catstrap which had been cut. I recommend the cat shield (or a knockoff).

I don't know anyone in Los Angeles, but if you're calling around for prices remember to also check with tire places and muffler places.

7. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Cat Alarm for $179? Siren itself is $15

Get alarm with remote for $30 Amazon, good reviews. Ideal may be better for under vehicle, water resistant?

Motion Alarm.jpg Motion Cat Alarm.jpg Motion Cateye.jpg Motion remote alarm.jpg

#7 alftoy, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  8. DavidTB

DavidTB New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The vast majority of vehicles simply don’t have enough ground clearance to position the cutting tool to begin cutting the exhaust pipe from the opposite side of the catstrap. In the event this was possible, the thief would not only have the adhesive bond to contend with (which would be near impossible to pry off considering the limited amount of space under the vehicle), but also the muffler exhaust clamps that are used to clamp the strap on either side of the converter. This would force the thief to cut through the strap to remove the converter.

9. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Make your own cable strap or shield. Lots of ideas for cheap. Same amount of work to install Catstrap.