1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CD Changer Jammed - 2011 Prius Three not III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ethan Waldman, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Ethan Waldman

Ethan Waldman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just purchased a used 2011 Prius Three, not III because 2010 used uppercase case Roman numerals for model designation, that came with the JBL sound system (4 disc in-dash changer), and according to the screen, there are 3 discs in it already. None of them will play and nothing happens when I go through the eject procedure.

According to this thread, a possible fix involves disconnecting the 12v battery and reconnecting it. What are the potential other side effects of disconnecting the 12v battery? I don't want to create more problems trying to fix the CD player which I rarely use.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't had this issue, however it has been reported that pulling the fuse for the radio worked for one member. You might try that if you are concerned about disconnecting the 12 volt battery.

Best of luck to you.

3. Ethan Waldman

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm definitely more comfortable pulling a fuse vs. disconnecting the battery. The manual lists several fuses associated with the Audio and Nav System. Will any of them work? Or do I have to pull them all?

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Possibly someone else can answer that question. As I stated, I have no personal experience with this issue. Sorry I can't be of better assistance to you.

5. Ethan Waldman

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW: I removed the negative battery terminal (no sparking) and kept it off for about a minute. After reconnecting, the cd system rebooted itself. Now instead of showing 3 CD's in the changer it shows no CD's in the changer. I'm not actually sure if there are any in there at all since I just bought the car used.

So, since it was showing 0 CD's, I decided to try to load one. When the screen folds down the CD changer makes a bunch of noises but the light never turns from amber to green and it keeps making the same mechanical cycling noise over and over. I don't mind because I don't use CD's often, but still.. it's annoying to find out this part of my new car is broken! From my research, it sounds like a lot of other people have had trouble with the E7022 JBL units and they are not highly regarded... If this thing ever causes more trouble I'll look into some kind of aftermarket upgrade.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i agree with upgrading. toyota audio is pretty poor. just do it.(y)

7. Ethan Waldman

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What do you recommend replacing it with?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing. i've always stuck with the stock units, but i'm not an audiophile. i would search here for people who have changed theirs out and see what their priorities were, and what they went with. some want back up camera, some want better sound, some want better gps, some want a unit that works with their steering wheel buttons and etc. all the best!(y)

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Copy your music to a flash drive & plug it in the USB port.

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep, this is what we do, USB audio. Only played a few, as in, can count them on one hand, CDs in the player over all these years.