1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CDs stuck, tried everything

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by es114, May 13, 2015.

1. es114

es114 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just on the off-chance someone could help: Have a 2010 Prius with JBL Nav. CDs are stuck in positions 3 and 4 although the system says they are open. Disconnected the 12v battery and re-start and they show up in those positions with lots of grinding trying to eject. After a while the system gives up and shows slots 3 and 4 are open. Tried inserting a CD almost all the way and pulling out. Tried inserting a flat stick with double sided tape. No success. Any other tricks or is she a goner?

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Using the adhesive flap from a USPS envelope may work but you'll probably have to remove the unit. The discs may or may not be recoverable. Plenty of diy videos on youtube. Good luck.

3. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Can you tell where it's getting stuck? I've fished many disks out of slot-loading computer drives where the slot becomes slightly misaligned with the drive. The usual trick I've used is to poke a business card on either the top or the bottom of the slot right at the center to help guide it past the sharp corner as it's being ejected - or if I can't see which side it's sticking on, try both.

Of course, none of those drives were multi-disk variants, so there's undoubtedly more machinery to get plugged up there.

I'm trying to remember what other tricks I used, but they're not coming to mind - it's been a while since I've done this (when I did computer repair in college). The most drastic was a disk that was coming partway out before retracting - I grabbed it with needle nose pliers and dragged that sucker out kicking and screaming. I might've also fashioned a hook out of a paper clip to grab the disk by the spindle hole, but that probably involved having the drive outside of the computer so the case didn't get in the way and I could see what I was grabbing better.

4. es114

es114 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can't tell where it's getting stuck. I have the JBL navy unit. I know the problem is in the 3rd and 4th disk slots and can hear the unit straining to eject but cannot complete the operation and then the unit fails to see them unless I disconnect the 12 volt battery.
    Is there a tool to pry them out?

5. es114

es114 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Was able to remove the radio. Really not hard at all. I also was able to remove the disks but I noticed a gear drive shaft in the bottom of the cd tray mechanism that was just lying there not connected to anything. Packed off the radio to Hitech Electronics in Van Niuys, California.
    On its way back to me now with new cd tray.

I have been driving the car without the radio without a problem. My only concern is the dreaded yellow triangle. Will that disappear once the radio is back in or do I have to take it to Toyota for a reset? Perhaps disconnecting the 12 volt battery for a few minutes will do the trick?

Thanks,

Eric