1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CEL Hell - 2007 Gen 2 Trials and Tribulations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gdogrun, Mar 31, 2019.

1. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pasadena recently said....Replaced an inverter pump that way last weekend and my recollection is that the 3 way valve is much lower down in the car than that pump. It is below the plane defined by the bottom of the headlight. It may be more accessible via that route than up from the bottom of the car, but it isn't right out in the open once the headlight is out.

I'm familiar with where the 3 way is located. I've unbolted it's mount almost every time I've done a ICWP, but NOT messed with hoses or the electrical connector. "Much lower" is opinion I suppose, since the mounts share the same stud. I've never had the opportunity to actually replace a 3 way valve, that's why I asked for input from anyone who HAS done it that way. That valve looks to be in an awkward place for working on it from underneath and I've never been a fan of working under things that may pour fluid on my face.

Then Pasadena said.....So why waste time on it if there is nothing wrong with it? OK, I can think of one answer - if you can unbolt the plate with the pump on it faster than undoing the three bolts holding the pump to the plate. But you said it adds 10 minutes to the job, so, no.

I think I explained this pretty well as to why I do it:

I know its easier to just unbolt the new ICW pump from the new baseplate and then install the new pump onto the old base. I prefer to install the complete assembly that comes in the box. It eliminates any questions about why the old base plate is still in the car and it only adds 10 minutes to the job.

For my own car, no big deal. A customer pays for an assembly that comes in a box. I install that assembly. That's what they paid for and that's what I do. To me, it's not a waste of time. It's having respect for a customer. In a way, it lets them know I don't cut corners.

As for this....
    On the other side of that coin, when has that simple metal plate ever failed?

Allow me to show you.....zinc chromate coatings don't last forever in some environments....and I have a habit of taking photos

Plate.JPG Plate1.JPG

Skibob, SFO and Patrick Wong like this.