1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CEL light on (solid), red triangle with "!" on, and hybrid system malfunction light (car with "!")

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Chris129, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Chris129

Chris129 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had those all light up on my wife's car this morning as she was driving away for work. She was able to get car back to house. Gas motor running 100% of the time and battery down to "purple" with two bars.

Towed the car to the dealer, thinking hybrid battery is out. Car is a 2007 Prius with 149,657 on the clock.

Dealer calls me back and says throttle body motor is out and it's $1,195.80 to replace. Based on the symptoms the car exhibited and the battery being on such a low charge without even rolling far enough on 100% electric to deplete the battery that much, I'm a little skeptical that it's the throttle body motor.

Drove the car all day yesterday and had no problems with the throttle sticking or any kind of loss of power. Ideas guys?

I was thinking of having them clean the throttle body and clear the codes and see what happens. I'm in CA, so if it's the hybrid batter, I need to get that replaced as 150K is right there!

Thanks!

2. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I agree that the diagnosis does not sound correct. They should be able to give you the recorded DTCs that they used to make the diagnosis. Also, do you have the original 12 volt battery? Where in California are you?

3. Chris129

Chris129 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Vertex,

Still have original 12V battery. Might be early signs of failure? Pardon my ignorance, but what does DTC stand for? Diagnostic Tech Codes? I am in San Jose area. Thanks!!

Chris

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    DTC = diagnostic trouble code

5. Chris129

Chris129 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DTC code is P2103 supposedly. I called service person and left her a message asking for the code and no return phone call. Called a second time an hour + later and she said she'd have to call me back, because she was with a guest at the time. Called me back about 5 minutes later and gave me P2103, which meant throttle actuator circuit high.

I asked her if they could just clean the throttle body/etc. and she said they did that already. I suggested that they clean it and reset all codes and see if it pops back up. She said they did that already.

Looks like the electronic circuit is overheating due to failure? It's really odd though, because the car didn't feel like it. But then again, it doesn't look like the throttle motor failed completely, which wouldn't let me drive the car at all (it was driveable, but I didn't try to drive it far because all the warning lights were on).

When she initially called me this morning, she said the throttle motor was dead. Now it's the circuit that's bad, but of course, she said that is all one assembly and you have to replace the whole thing.

Initial price: $1,195.80. She offered a $100 off coupon. I looked online and it looks like you can buy the part for $679 instead of the normal $900+. Not sure if that's worth all the trouble to order online. Only have one car and I'll be hit with the $145 diagnostic fee if I don't have them fix the car.

Arrgh, I hate being in this situation! No wonder why the stealerships make so much money. They've cut margins on new car sales, but rely on getting you to come back for all kinds of service.

You all think this is plausible? The P2103 diagnostic, that is. I know it's hard to say, but I just wanted to hear from others' experiences. Thanks!
    -Chris

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The diagnosis is plausible. If you can install the throttle motor yourself then you might consider buying a used part, for example from autobeyours.com

You are right, the dealer probably makes more profit on a major service than on the sale of a new vehicle.

7. Chris129

Chris129 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick! I just thought I would check with all of you first. If anything, it gives me more peace of mind that I am not getting taken by the stealership.

The guys there always talk a mile a minute and you always get the impression that they're trying to glaze over everything, so you'll just say "ok," lie down, and pay whatever they ask you to. It would go a long way if they would be more detailed and tell you exactly what they did to troubleshoot your car.

But of course, that takes time and time is money... so it's really a losing proposition for them if they take more time per each "service transaction."

Ok, well I will take the dive and just get this done. It looks to be about $1,100. Now, my secondary question is: Being at 149,657 I don't know how much longer the traction battery will last.

One dealer told me it's more on the "age" rather than the mileage on the car. They said they are seeing a lot of 2003s come in with dead traction batteries. Ours is a 2007 with high miles. I don't really want to fork over $3K+ to get those replaced later on. I'd rather sell the car before the batteries die and just buy a new one.

Thoughts? As always, thank you!

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you changed out small 12v battery ever?

9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. Chris129

Chris129 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never changed out the small 12V battery ever! Car still started fine, so I didn't suspect. Crap, just bit the bullet with the dealer and said change the throttle body assembly. I can still call it off maybe!

11. Chris129

Chris129 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Question: Would the "hybrid system malfunction" icon pop up if the throttle body assembly was throwing a P2103 code? The throttle body seems indirectly related to the "hybrid system" and - I would think - would just throw a check engine light.

It's like in regular gas cars when the mass air flow sensor goes bad, you get a check engine light. Of course there is no hybrid system in a regular gas car.

I still think the Prius should have just thrown a check engine light when the throttle body circuit was running above 10A or below 0.5A. I figure that is more of an engine problem. If it was the hybrid system, you'd think traction battery, inverter, electric motor, etc.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 12 volt battery does NOT start the gas engine. It's started by the big hybrid battery. You will NEVER get a symptom of slow cranking or insufficient charge to start the engine on a Prius due to a low 12 volt.

Perhaps you should get the 12 volt changed first. You're going to need it soon anyway, if not already. All sorts of weird stuff can happen w/a bad or low 12 volt. It's best to run the test at Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat after the car has sat overnight.

If you're going thru the w/the repair, I'd demand the original throttle body back.

BTW, the reason we ask about where in CA you are is lusciousgarage.com seems to have a good rep. I've never done business w/them as they're also too far for me. I live in San Jose myself.

I've taken my car to Toyota Sunnyvale for service/warranty work a bunch in the past and was reasonably satisfied w/them. I don't know what dealer you're at....

dave77 likes this.
  13. Chris129

Chris129 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! That's good to know. You guys rock! I'm the techie in the family, so I've been doing the research even though it's my wife's car. So I'm a bit of a noob, when it comes to the Prius.

I think I'll try to change the 12V battery, per your suggestion. Think this is a DIY item? I'm fairly hands-on, so if there's no capacitor I need to worry about touching and killing myself with, maybe I can do it :).

I have requested that they give me the original throttle body back. Anyone in our area want to test the circuit and see if it really failed? Maybe we can see how Piercy is.

The people there are pretty friendly, but of course most of the service advisors blaze through what's going on with your car in hopes that you'll just go "uh-huh" and just lie down and pay. Sometimes it seems as though they may be on par with salespeople when it comes to trustworthiness :).

Thanks for the rec. of luciousgarage! I will check them out. Toyota Sunnyvale seems like a good place... at least when it comes to sales, they seemed to be one of the few with the no haggle price policy back then. My cousin bought one there and her sales experience was awesome compared to ours at Fremont Toyota.

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, it is a DIY item. I did mine myself, after some hesitation and replaced it w/an Optima Yellow Top. I used Toyota Prius 12 Volt Auxiliary Battery with install kit for 2004 - 11 before there was direct replacement w/the proper sized terminals (for the weird terminal size the Prius uses). Now, you don't need this version anymore.

15. Chris129

Chris129 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. jasont

jasont New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all, wondering if I could get some advice.
    2007 prius with 69K miles: Had the 12v battery replaced 2 weeks ago by the dealership ($270). Today the exact same issues started happening (check engine light, exclamation triangle, car battery drained and had to shut off and restart to get moving again). Took it back in and they say the Throttle Body Assembly needs to be replaced now...$1369! Does this sound reasonable for only having 69k miles!? Anyone's help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Jason

17. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The dealerships seem to want to redefine "reasonable". Check back with the dealer and find the specific codes that they read, and post them here so that a better idea can be had of what is going on. Sometimes the shops don't know what is the root cause, and start playing the guessing game.

18. WantBetterMPG

WantBetterMPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chris, I have a 2008 Prius Touring, about 54k miles, in Houston, TX. Two Saturday's ago I got into it and the dash lit up like a xmas tree with 4 icons, including those you described. I crept back up the driveway by stopping and starting it three times. Had it flat bed towed to the dealership the following Monday. By the time it was unloaded off the trailer, all warning lights were off. Dealership found a stored code they said was the throttle body motor. I doubted that would fix the hybrid icon, but they insisted the TB motor was all they could deal with. I had purchased an extended Toyota warranty, so they gave me a rental, ordered the part, and Tuesday I picked it up. The bill was something like $1,154 (that I did not have to pay). So far there have been no other warning lights, but I have noticed a reduction in MPG since the repair.

19. WantBetterMPG

WantBetterMPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chris, I just checked the papers from the repair and there's a P0121 that looks like it could be a DTC. The bill was actually $1184.64. The part itself was $905.87 plus $3.79 for a throttle gasket.

20. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the gasoline engine loses power then the hybrid vehicle ECU may log a DTC which would cause the hybrid vehicle icon (car with ! symbol) in the MFD to appear. The check engine light should also appear as the engine ECU should log a DTC.

DTC P0121 indicates a problem with the throttle position sensor which is part of the throttle body assembly.

For owners who have this problem and can DIY, a less costly alternative would be to install a used part from a 2G salvage vehicle.

dave77 likes this.