1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CEL; P0441 and P0455

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cutter44, Mar 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. Yeah, I think that's my best plan. When I order it, I'll contact the dealer and get a good time to pick it up. I'm also ordering 4 qts of ATF and an oil filter. I'll mention the charging and we'll come up with a time that works for both of us. I'm working from home for a while so my time is flexible.

I guess my biggest concern is the usage the car will get for the foreseeable future. No more long daily commute, which is good for me but probably not for the battery. I'm hoping that as long as I take it out for a ride a few times a week, that will keep things healthy.

2. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just thought of something else, but figured I'd better not start a new thread.

I've ordered a new battery from the Toyota dealer, but before I pick it up, I'm wondering if there's any reason the consider keeping the old battery. I have a trickle charger that I could use to try to rejuvenate it, but to what end? Am I better off just bringing them the old battery for the $18 core return refund?

3. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Take it in for the core refund because your not going to revive an already bad 12v battery. :)

4. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. That's what I needed to hear. :)

dubit likes this.
  5. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just a little update for anyone interested. I removed my old battery this morning and brought it with me when I picked up the new one from the dealer. When I got home I pulled out the multimeter just for the heck of it to check the new battery and it showed 12.55. Removal of old battery and install of the new went fine; it's just awkward as heck to maneuver in that cramped space. What I found interesting was that all my radio presets stayed set. The only thing I had to reset was the time. I've taken it for a couple of rides doing errands and all seems well. I'm sure it will need to relearn my driving habits, but then again they've changed too in all this craziness now that I don't have that nasty commute.

Unfortunately I didn't think of it until I was finished, but I wanted to see if there was an install date on the previous battery. Just curious to know how long it was in the car, since I bought the vehicle used with 32k miles on it.

Anyway, mission accomplished, and the CEL hasn't come back either.

6. Lifer99

Lifer99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great! You dodged a bullet. The 12V battery does not power the starter, but when the 12V goes out your car is completely dead and there is no way to even read the OBD2 port to find out if it was something else. Best to preemptively replace them. Being stuck in a parking lot is best case - there's Uber and roadside assistance. Try being stuck in a remote area. Roadside assist companies will cancel requests that are too far from their base, especially if you need to get towed to location outside their base.