1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CEL, Red Triangle with !, intermittent VSC light, and code P0093

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HOVmobile, Jul 15, 2012.

1. HOVmobile

HOVmobile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have around 68k miles on my 2009 Prius and just got a CEL, the Red Triangle with an exclamation point, an intermittently occurring VSC light, and an intermittently occurring yellow circle with an exclamation point on the upper dash display. I also have a car shaped icon with an exclamation point on my main display (ICE?). My scan tool shows P0093 as the only code.

I started the car with the hood open and verified that the inverter coolant reservoir was showing movement of the fluid. I can hear the inverter coolant pump humming or whining quietly so it is confirmed that it is working. From what I can tell, the air conditioning blows cold even when all four lights are on so given what I have read, I assume that means it is not the inverter.

Does this sound primarily like a skid control ECU issue? If so, is it OK to continue driving the car while I locate a replacement unit online?

2. HOVmobile

HOVmobile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, battery voltage is good. Still the stock battery but it is still registering 14V+ with the car running and with accessories on and 12V+ with the car off and with headlights/radio on.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    What's the voltage look like after the car has sat overnight?

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If 12v is below 12. in the morning its time for a stronger 12V. H

5. HOVmobile

HOVmobile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe it was still above 12 this morning but the car only sat maybe 5-6 hours since last being driven. Is that long enough for the battery to "settle" and for the test to reveal an issue?

I probably was not very good in my previous searches. So is low battery voltage a potential culprit for these types of error lights?

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have no hint of Prius specific codes, but generically

P0093, Fuel System Leak Detected, Large Leak

Possible causes
    - Faulty fuel pump
    - Blocked fuel filter
    - Faulty fuel pressure solenoid
    - Faulty Fuel injector

basically anything that might result in low fuel pressure.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not believe that DTC P0093 is a valid Prius code. Any skid control ECU DTC would start with a "C" character (for chassis; "P" is for powertrain.)

I suggest that you discard that scan tool (or at least, do not rely upon it for Prius work) and consult with your local Toyota dealer service dept to obtain the correct DTC and a diagnosis if you don't find a problem with your 12V battery.

Regarding whether you should continue to drive the car with the braking system impaired, you should use your own judgment on that based upon any driveability symptoms you observe. At minimum I suggest that you drive at moderate speeds and leave plenty of time to stop.

8. HOVmobile

HOVmobile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car has been sitting for about 6 hours now so I will check the voltage in a little while to see where it is as of right now.

How does a bad 12V battery cause these types of codes to appear? Just wondering. Still searching and can't find something definitive.

9. HOVmobile

HOVmobile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I only just now caught that you mentioned the braking system being impaired. Is that what this particular set of lights eludes to?

10. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why not an independent repair shop that knows Prii?

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the (!) and VSC warning lights both let you know that the skid control ECU (which controls the braking system) has logged DTC.

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No problem with that, as long as the owner can locate a competent independent. This is not easy outside very large metropolitan areas.

13. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Of course my opinion is to look for a competent independent shop first with the dealer as the second choice. If the OP were to share their location we might be able to help.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The OP also needs to consider whether the root cause of the problem is likely to be covered under warranty; in which case he would do best visiting his local Toyota dealer - even if a competent independent is available. Given the symptoms he has reported, if the problem is actually with the skid control ECU or other braking system components like the brake actuator, that will not be covered under the standard warranty.

15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When you press Power, the 12 volt battery runs the computers through a Power On Self Test, then, if everything is safe, it pulls on relays that allow the HV battery to power the Inverter at the 14 volts you see when running, then you get a Ready light on the dash.

If the 12 volt battery is low, you can get erroneous readings before the 14 volt Inverter output kicks in.

We get suspicious when the symptoms do not hint at one failure, in this example you have lights hinting braking issues, and codes hinting Fuel Injector issues. It seems unlikely (but not impossible) that they would fail at the same time. So we ask battery questions.

kenoarto and HaroldW like this.
  16. HOVmobile

HOVmobile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am located in Northern Virgina (DC Metro area). More specifically, in Ashburn, VA.

I will check the voltage now. I already have the hood open so I will check the voltage there at the remotely located terminal first. Let me know if I should also take it directly from the battery under the rear cargo area cover.

17. HOVmobile

HOVmobile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From the + terminal under the fuse box cover, I measured 12.76V irrespective of the grounding location used. Should I try to place a load on the battery, like turning on the HIDs & driving lights?

18. HOVmobile

HOVmobile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here are images of my previously mentioned dash lights and other related images...

Attached Files:

19. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  20. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did all those lights come on at the same time or did the ABS and ((!)) come on after you scanned it for the CEL and triangle lights? Is there more to the story such as repairs being performed prior, etc.?