1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cell or HV battery needs replacing?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MTR, Nov 16, 2016.

1. MTR

MTR New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A few months ago I got the "check hybrid system" message, with yellow check engine, yellow ((!)) and yellow ! in the triangle. Took it to the dealership and they told me to change the HV battery.
    I didn't have the money for that so I took it home, opened the battery, and checked each cell voltage. Thay were fine, both charged and discharged. When I reconencted the 12v, the mEssages disapeared until a few days ago when I got it 3 times in a week.
    Is there a proper way to check the cells health that I am missing, or should I get another HV battery, used most likely, as the new one costs a bit too much.

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Hello, welcome to Prius Chat.
    We may need more information on the vehicle like, are you the original owner?, exact quantity of miles, weather conditions at time of failure (summer, winter), how did you checked the batteries voltage, at rest, vehicle operational in ready mode (DANGER), how old the 12VDC Aux battery is, did the traction battery faulted during regular normal steady driving or UP/DOWN a hill, carrying heavy load.....

3. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Recondition the pack, load test the modules to find the failed one, replace it, then recondition the pack again. Can be done in a few days for under $500:
    Battery Reconditioning Overview - Hybrid Automotive

What causes hybrid batteries to degrade and fail? - Hybrid Automotive

4. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  5. MTR

MTR New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello! I bought it in April, with 220 000 km, and when it first happened it was in the ussual hilly terrain I live in, 2 people inside, at arround 225000km, in the summer. Now (4 months and 6000km later) in cold weather it started to get more frequent.
    I checked the voltages with a multimeter with the battery full, drained it with the A/C then checked again, both while the car was off. Then I got a small digitall voltmeter for each cell and watched them while they were draining, in ready mode with the A/C. They kept simmilar voltages 7.5-8.3v. I was carefull not to short anything.
    I'm not sure about the age of the 12V battery, but it's an OEM Toyota agm battery. I think its since the car was new.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Check the 12V battery. If it's bad it can cause all sorts of strange things.

7. MTR

MTR New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    12.65v on idle, after a cold night. 12.2v with the headlights on. Although the hud/mfd/speedometer woult take a minute to turn on in some mornings, not sure if it's connected.
    Do you know how to determine the age of the 12v on an OEM toyota battery?