1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cell phones and Smart Keys

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chctsmw, Jul 21, 2007.

1. chctsmw

chctsmw New Member

The manual says I shouldn't "keep the (smart) key with products emitting electromagnetic waves such as a cellular phone", but doesn't specifically say why. Several pages later, there is a warning that the smart key continually receives electromagnetic waves and that if it receives strong electromagnetic waves over a period of time, the battery can be "drastically run down" and that I should "store" the smart key at least 3 feet away from any products emitting electromagnetic waves.

Considering the fact that anytime I leave the house I have my smart key in my pocket and my cell phone clipped on my belt or pocket, I am wondering:
    - is a dead smart key battery the only problem I may cause myself by keeping them in close proximity?
    - does anyone know from firsthand experience how quickly you can "drastically run down" the battery?
    - as long as I don't "store" these items together, but only have them together when I am out of the house, should I even worry?

I am at least keeping the key and the cell phone on opposite sites of my body, but while my hips may be further apart then they were before kids, I promise, I am nowhere near 3 feet wide!

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I don't see a problem. I personally keep the key fob in my right pocket. I "wear" the cellphone on a strap around my neck - it hangs to about navel height. Cellphone has bluetooth on all the time. Cellphone also operates at 1900 MHz. Last time I checked, the FOB frequency was no where near that. Further, my cellphone has never stopped my FOB from working just fine with the car. Finally, I have answered several calls while driving, and have had no indication from the car that it can no longer "see" the FOB when the cellphone is operating.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The RF from the cell phone can cause the smart key to respond, shortening the battery life. If possible, keep the two a little ways apart. The other problem can be interference, which can keep the smart key from hearing the Prius. You will know if you have this problem since the doors will not unlock.

Tom

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, Case. The battery in the fob for my 2005 needed to be replaced this year, and I kept the fob in my right pocket and my mobile clipped to my right pocket. I have occasionally reached for the door, usually on the passenger side, and it doesn't automatically instantly unlock; I think the mobile phone "blocks" the fob signal, but the door opens with a moment's holding the handle.

I think you have nothing to worry about.

5. chctsmw

chctsmw New Member

Thanks for the welcome. And the feedback. I'm really glad I found this site. It's provided me with answers to the many questions I've had about my new Prius. (Never had a car I cared about enough in the past to have questions!)

6. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it also has some to do with the quality of phone you own, if i recall correctly...

when my family got a Viper alarm system on a car several years back, the dealer informed them of this type of thing but added that the higher quality of phone you have, the better off you are because of the technology employed to limit the interference.

my $.02

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Case @ Jul 22 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]483128[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, welcome Case, and the search tool is a wonderful thing. When you discover it, you'll see this topic has been beat to death numerous times :D

8. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wondered about this too. I keep my cell phone in a clip on my belt or in my pocket (opposite pocket from the fob). After three years, the battery in the fob is practically at full charge, so apparently, I'm not subjecting the battery to undue discharge pressure, or whatever. I wouldn't worry about it; just don't keep the fob and the cell phone in the same pocket or purse.

9. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angel Flight Pilot @ Jul 23 2007, 10:19 AM) [snapback]483635[/snapback]</div>
    +1 for no problems with cell phone interference. Although BMW owners have reported problems with cell phones interfering with the fob on comfort access-equipped cars. So, there may be an issue. I just haven't experienced it with my cell phone (Treo 700p) and the Prius' key fob.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i dont think that there is a lot to worry about simply because it would be like worrying about getting old. sure you can exercise, but your options are pretty limited and the results maybe uncertain. (iow, genetics may override anything you can do)

with any device that operates on electromagnetic frequencies, interfering signals are simply an unavoidable fact of life. now distance, even a little can help, but i simply have too many devices to juggle and therefore, heck with it.

in my car alone, besides TWO cellphones, a bluetooth GPS device, bluetooth headset, bluetooth laptop, etc... get the picture?? in the long run, it will cause your battery to run down faster when the device has to work a little harder to decipher multiple signals and find the right one to read, but like... so what?