1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Center cluster panel lamp replacement/upgrade

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by JennaBrown, Jan 3, 2017.

1. JennaBrown

JennaBrown New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an 02 first gen Prius. I have a burnt out cluster panel light (the one that illuminates the temperature dial). I have found replace bulbs online but does anyone know if there is a way to upgrade to LED (and if so what type of bulb I need) or if any aftermarket alternatives exist? Ideally I would love to switch to blue bulbs but don't know the size to buy replacement caps and don't want to take the cluster panel off again unless it's for the actual work. I already broke it once. Thanks.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Hipstor

Hipstor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just updated the light bulb wiki with the LED bulbs for that. http://priuschat.com/wiki/nhw11-lighting/ I set the wiki to default to green in an attempt to match stock. You can choose different colors easily once you click through. If you want all the Center cluster lights to match the new blue bulb. You will need 7 LED's total.

3. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't do it unless you absolutely have to. The center dash gets really fragile with age and will practically shatter if you breathe on it wrong. Replacements are available last I looked, but it's a $200 part. I got one at Camelback Toyota in Phoenix, they do ship.

4. Hipstor

Hipstor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh yes! Super fragile! Mine broke just trying to unscrew the radio. Mounting points snapped off and rotated with the screw, rather than letting go of the screw. I can pinch a piece between my thumb and forefinger and snap it right off. Another $200 :cry: down the drain :cry:. Oh! FYI: the Toyota part number for the center dash finish panel is 55405-47030-B0. Mine came with new louvers and the duct stub to fit into the rest of the duct work already attached.

Also, after replacing my lights with the LEDs. I discovered that the stock photon wave guides are designed for truly omni-directional light sources. Functionally this means I now have bright and dim spots. For example, the top row of buttons, AM/FM, TRAF/DISPLAY, are only fed by wave guides. While the next row, DISK/TAPE, MAP/DEST, are directly lit. With the LED's 120 degree beam angle, the top row is now barely half as bright as the next row down. YMMV. I'll try to take a picture and post it, once it gets dark out.

#4 Hipstor, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Brian in Tucson likes this.
  5. Hipstor

Hipstor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Idea I've had, but not actually put to the test:

Get some clear Plasti-Dip. Whip it up like meringue. Dip your LEDs. The air bubbles may diffuse the light output into a closer-to-omni pattern.

Hipstor likes this.
  7. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chap is the guy that wrote up the instructions to minimize damage removing the center dash. I've done it and preserved the dash on a junk yard car, his guide works.