1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Center Console Access Improvement

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by VVTiBob, Apr 13, 2018.

1. VVTiBob

VVTiBob Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    2ACA6413-0E5E-4893-9269-8B39745497BC.jpeg F400635F-F628-4DA2-8B21-1A177D3D37E6.jpeg DB1760A4-45FD-4085-9D87-19EB3B643924.jpeg CDDFD2CD-1C76-493E-92AE-35BED5C44E6D.jpeg 9DD70993-D787-451E-A4B6-7FB25C2DB785.jpeg ADECEF1A-3C2D-4FA8-8AF2-A22563573161.jpeg E0EC0D87-8C02-4BDB-B5D8-C469440CC859.jpeg 655AF956-0C6E-4AB1-BEB2-FD84AA5731DF.jpeg 4A072DBB-5035-4C25-B3FE-E9A896662B43.jpeg There is nothing more frustrating to me than poor design. The center console in our North American Primes flips up to the right obstructing passenger access. It also short in my opinion. Even my 2011 Gen III Prius center console slide back and tilted up.
    So I searched the Internet and found a Japanese, genuine Toyota replacement, center console armrest (Part #0822C-47010). The kit contains a new center console base plate that replaces the existing one. The mechanism has a sliding top that moves forward about 3.25 inches. It’s also hinged at the back so it flips up and out of the way, for easy access to the storage console for both the driver and passenger. The existing armrest pad is reused with the new base and comes apart easily from the original one. There is no need whatsoever to loosen or undo any of the side plastic panels clips on the console. The armrest base comes off as one complete unit. But the two pins, one in front and one in back, are difficult to get out.

The old base has latched at two points, front and rear, with a mechanical release made from plastic parts. The new base has a single pressure clip front and center with a positive latching feel. When you slide the armrest forward, your forearm rests at the elbow joint, and is supported when reaching for the transmission shifter which I find comfortable. On the downside, one of the two cup holders is partially obstructed, meaning tall items may not fit easily.

Unfortunately the install instructions are written in Japanese, but luckily they are well illustrated, pointing out all the clips and claws. While it might feel like your back in grade school, it works. You’ll need a 3/16 inch drill bit to install a metal reinforcement piece (diagram pic) for the new hinge, a Phillips head screwdriver and appropriate pry tools to get the finish garnish pieces and the old base plate apart. You’ll also reuse the two plastic retaining pins from the old assembly in the front piece of the new base.

This project took a little less that two hours. While I was slowed referring to pictures rather than instructions, I’m familiar with Toyota/Lexus design. I’d rate this project a 5 on a scale of one to ten. A 3.5 if the instructions were in english.

#1 VVTiBob, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you, great write up and pics. well done, i like it!(y)

3. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Nice! I take it the strap is made out of the same stuff seatbelts are, and that it is there to prevent overextending of the opened hatch cover? Do you think comfort while shifting is why they designed it so that the armrest slides forward? Given that these are automatics, it seems very strange to me that they would design it for such an infrequent action.

Most importantly, how did you order the Japanese parts?

4. VVTiBob

VVTiBob Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I tend to use the braking/regeneration function of the CVT transmission. In my neighborhood I go from 500 ft to sea level quickly. It extends my 25 mile EV to 29 miles regularly.

Yes, the strap is made out of nylon and is similar to the seatbelt material. It’s anchored by two main machined screws through the plastic storage box, through the metal reinforcing bracket and into a locking nut. Four more screws mount and support the new hinge mechanism into the bracket and console.

Regarding ordering parts from Japan/China. I’ve used multiple sources:
    1. Amazon Japan: with English translation turned on. Some vendors ship, others won’t.
    2. Nigel JDM parts - Nigel-JDMParts
    3. Hybrid Pit - HybridPit
    4. eBay - sellers from China (Searching on: PriusPrime, PriusPHV and ZVW52 and others)
    5. Rakuten Global Market: https://global.rakuten.com/

#4 VVTiBob, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    priuscatprimeguy and Insighter like this.
  5. MMBH

MMBH Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium

6. MMBH

MMBH Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Would you be willing to share the company name that you ordered it from and also the price? I agree with you about the design being sort of poorly thought out. (I also perplexed that the plug-in door opens out versus up, as it leaves this electronics area open to the elements, which in the NE in the vicinity of the New England area, a really poorly thought out design, imho.)

7. VVTiBob

VVTiBob Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Vendor #2 in post #4 above. $150 but shipping charges will vary due to location. I’m on the west coast. Ordered placed 3/19 arrived 4/12. Company communication = fair but only my acct on their website. I ordered four items, three shipped one backordered.

Others sell this part, search for it by part number in the first post. And, as a reminder, installation instructions are only in Japanese.