1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Center console / armrest doesn't slide completely forward

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kapalacc, Oct 27, 2011.

1. kapalacc

kapalacc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're too awesome. Thank you.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you see this thread? Might be a reoccurring problem. I don't know if this user found a solution or not.

I am currently looking for an old thread where the user disassembled the console, it doesn't look easy.

[edit] -
    Found a great thread on the center console (removal). Gives some good photos of it removed!

3. kapalacc

kapalacc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, after a few hours of disassembling and a few broken plastic tabs- it looks like the notches (for lack of a more technical term) in the arm rest were stopping it from sliding all the way up. I broke the little plastic lip that was stopping it and voila- it closes! Now I have $600 in my pocket (that I would have never spent on a new console anyway!) a console that closes, and a few extra screws.

Thanks for the conversation. Without it I probably would have never solved it. :)

4. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad you got it solved. Good for you that you stuck with it

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Awesome, that is what we are here for. Glad it was fixable.

p.s. I have tons of extra parts myself. :embarassed:

6. Blinkn09

Blinkn09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aw man! I wish I would have seen this thread earlier!! Same exact thing happened to me. The dealer just went ahead and replaced the whole armrest console for me. When it was broken, the top armrest was a bit loose also. But again, they just ordered a brand new console for me and now it works perfectly. =) I'm glad to see that you fixed yours =).

7. Anomoly

Anomoly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm having the same issue now... i was working prefectly fine and then yesterday I go to close it and it wont slide forward... I'm debating taking it in because it's under waranty still or just taking it apart myself... hmmm

8. Old Bald Guy

Old Bald Guy Old Bald Guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Slide the top all the way back and check up under the back of it to see if anything is there. Make sure there is nothing behind the console sticking up into the lid.

Also with the lid all the way back, use the release catch to lift the lid and see if there is anything IN the lid hanging up.

9. Bullydog

Bullydog Meus Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recommend taking it in for the repair. Not only because it is under warranty, but it also will help to highlight potential systemic issues to the dealer and Toyota. Good luck!

10. D Colegrove

D Colegrove New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I purchased my 2010 Prius used. After complaining that I only had 1 front cup holder, I found out there is a cup holder insert that goes in the console but I can't find one to purchase online anywhere. Any suggestions?

11. Ilikesilvercars

Ilikesilvercars Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a the same problem. After monkeying around with it, I just kicked it from the back seat and it was fixed.

doug123pc likes this.
  12. doug123pc

doug123pc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Worked for me. Broke off some bit of plastic inside and the cover no longer locks closed, but it's still an improvement. Thanks!

13. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any clue why that confounded lid has to be slid back almost against the rear seat before it can be lifted open? That's very annoying, especially when cargo in the rear (or a passenger's knees) blocks it from sliding that far backward.

14. ErnestoF

ErnestoF New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks PriusChat!!! I fixed mine with the info found in this thread, but I wanted to share my experience thst might be helpful to others as I didn't need to disassemble the lid:

1) open the lid so that it faces up (90 degrees)
    2) slide the lid up ("forward") as if you press the "open mechanism" (you might need to press a notch on the bottom side of the lid to release the "lock").

And that is how I fix the center console without tools.
    I bought a 2011 Prius in Feb2019 and I had the problem of not being able to slide the center console all the way forward.

Sooo happy today!!!

Peace!