1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Center console storage LED lighting

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by AZGeek, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh thanks! I wish I was better at circuitry. I would definitely appreciate a bit more illumination in the tray.

2. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How will the wiring work? Thnx

3. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Lol. Not anytime soon --- definitely out of my comfort level from a skill perspective. Way too many surface mount LEDs that I will most certainly fry with my soldering skill level. But I still think that is a cool mod to make.

iPad ?

4. AZGeek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No need to remove any front dash trim, but you do have to remove the trim from around the shifter to gain access to the space below. There is actually a small hole below the shifter that was a perfect fit for the 4mm size NEOx instrument cluster LED.

Removing the OEM footwell LEDs is also pretty easy. If I remember correctly, the driver's side has a couple of screws that need to be removed in additional to releasing a plastic tab holding the panel in place. I wound up taking the OEM LED fixture apart and then using the housing as the holder for the NEO5-Bs. Again, a very good fit and you are able to snap the housing back in place to securely hold the led just as it was in the OEM installation.

Here's a pic of the disassembled OEM led showing the LED assembly removed from the housing:
    Misc | PriusChat

I just shoved the NEO5-B into the housing and ran the wires out the other end. Very clean install. Getting the OEM assembly out of the housing was a small PITA but doable.

5. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  6. AZGeek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Since I wanted the mod lighting to fade on/off like the OEM footwells I ran my power from the existing connectors for the footwell lighting. I'm not sure where you would tap into that for your 2010.

7. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used these on my 2012 Canadian Base hatch:
    Oznium Surface Mount LED
    I put 1 in each footwell and 2 under the "flying buttress" (one would have done). Just stick them to the upper footwell panels and run the wires above the panels through any small opening.
    They are very easy to install since they have flat wiring and 3M adhesive on the back already.

The Base model does not come with footwell lighting or wiring for courtesy and park lighting so I also got an exLEDusa footwell control module. I'm still playing with dimmers and correct series / parallel LEDs configurations to keep the current under that of the LEDs that actually come with the module.

8. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That foot well light module is a good find

9. ph43drus

ph43drus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I accidentally installed a blue LED light for the center console storage area. Plugged in my cellphone usb charger, and it emits an almost perfect level of illumination under there. Wiring was simple, too. :)

[​IMG]

pichner and striker308 like this.
  10. Steve Robinson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I am going to take back everything I said about the footwell control module. I managed to smoke the first one and indeed probably was putting too much current through it. I changed the output wiring to put 2 LEDs in series and lower the current, but now I have noticed they are never turning off (and I bench-tested the module before installation). As I was thinking about the problem I realized that with LEDs this size, price and easy to install, it is much cheaper to install 3 on the courtesy (door) lamp circuit and 3 on the Park/Tail circuit (with more resistance to dim them). Six LEDs @ $3.29 and even add 2 10k pots for dimmer control @ about $1 each, is way cheaper than the control module alone!

I've decided I am going to try an EL strip for footwell and lower console tray lighting at night and I have another idea for courtesy lights. If these work, I will post pictures...

11. jmrmotorhead

jmrmotorhead Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Too bad, but I like your other ideas too! I think I'll order some LED's soon. I would go EL, but the slight audible buzz of the inverters kind of bothers me.

Matt

12. Steve Robinson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm old and the permanent ringing in my ears masks a lot!
    I've seen similar LEDs on superbrightleds as well. The Oznium ones drew something like 63mA.

jmrmotorhead likes this.
  13. arek

arek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Does the rear footwell already have foot lighting down there? Or does it require total custom installation/mounting?

14. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It requires custom mounting

15. AZGeek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  16. AZGeek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Added blue LEDs to the rear hatch LED modules. Basically, I modded a mod. Now the hatch area matches the lighting in the footwells and center console. Right now the blue LEDs are wired into the license plate lights, but I will change that to connect to the rear footwells so they are controlled the same way.

Hatch open:

Prius_5054.jpg

Hatch closed:

Prius_5050.jpg

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    AZ, I must of missed where you mentioned the rear hatch lights... where did you get em?

19. AZGeek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Fram a Japanese outfit called Rakuten. The link can be found here:

http://priuschat.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-ur-prius-today.112616/page-64#post-1731095

or the link directly to Rakuten's product page:

Rakuten: LED lamp set (attached to entering two pieces, the Japanese installation manual) in the prius (PRIUS) first half year of Toyota 30 origin for ラゲッジ enlargement for exclusive use of the last part of /- Shopping Japanese products from Japan

Shipping was fast even with the confusion of most of the correspondence being Japanese for them and English for me. The only thing I don't like about them is that the light cover / lens is clear and not frosted like the rest of the interior light covers.

Danny should consider adding these to the Shop.

spiderman likes this.
  20. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I thought the same thing but might get the JDM clear covers for all of the interior lights so that they all match.