1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Center divider rattle/buzzing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mediahound, Jan 26, 2014.

1. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think it depends on each dealership, not all of them don't know what they are doing. Some that I've called have even said they deal with rattles all the time and have materials such as foam tape etc to install for it.

I've identified where I believe the rattle is coming from and that's the area where the center bridge joins the center console. If I squeeze the two cup holders together, the rattles seems to cease.

I believe it just needs some rubber or foam material in between there. I will tell / show them this information.

2. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On the 2010s, many of us cut up a traditional mouse pad into a shape that would fit between those areas and carefully jammed it into place. It stopped the rattles on the 10s...don't know about the 13s.

3. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Id like to try this, what size and shape do you cut it? I have been unable to find any images online.

Mine did not rattle at all on the way home today but did on the way to work. I think it only does so when it's cold.

4. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The problem is the 2010s are different than the 2013s, as far as the way the center console meets the sky-bridge console. I could not give you exact dimensions. I will look for the threads (they'd be old by now) and if I find it, will post a link.

5. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That makes sense. I cannot see how a mousepad thickness could even fit in there in my 2013.

6. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Next I'm going to try adjusting the center console box to see if that changes anything. There are 4 10mm bolts under the fabric insert and it looks like the console can be moved either forward or back and then re-tightened.

7. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it's like the 10s, there's no "wiggle room" adjustment - it socks in position. But if you have it apart anyway, it might be easier to place a piece of a mouse pad (or other dense foam rubber) between the console and the sky-bridge.

8. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I think it's slightly different than prior (before 2012) models, I'll see. I don't know if just removing those 4 bolts will loosen it enough to get some mousepad material in there or what.

9. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On the 10s, there is also a curved piece of plastic towards the front of the center console that pries away revealing another hidden bolt(s). They must come out too before the center console is loose enough to be moved. Maybe just tightening all the bolts will do the trick.

10. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I removed the 4 bolts from the inside bottom of the center bin and pushed the bin forward as much as it would go, held it there while tightening the bolts.

This seems to have fixed the rattle/buzzing for now!

I say for now because I expect that they may come back over time. No idea why this would have fixed them but I'm happy it did.

phoenixgreg likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. Mahagodage Amal

Mahagodage Amal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    can u please upload a picture i can not understand where i should be put mouse pad

13. Mahagodage Amal

Mahagodage Amal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    can u upload a picture for clarify this. The link is now not working, I can not understand where should i put mouse pad

14. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Put foam rubber or mouse pad on the back edge of the lower center instrument cluster finish panel sub-assembly and the front edge of the console
    Sky bridge console removal.JPG