1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Central Virginia Prius Meetup: 9/29/07 (Confirmed)

Discussion in 'Local Clubs, Events, and Road Trips' started by JimboK, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK. I'm in! Sounds like we are going to have a great turn out. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate with us this time. At this point, I'm still a maybe for the cook-out.

A tip for those having their EBH installed... the supplied power cord already comes with a protective wire loom. HOWEVER, it does not run/cover the entire length of that cord. Therefore, I highly suggest buying/bringing some with you. I think I used a loom with a 1/2" O.D. on mine. You can pick some up at Lowes or Home Depot (in the electrical section). If I recall correctly, a 4-5 foot strip should be plenty to cover the remaining portion of that power cord. Oh, and don't forget to bring some black electrical tape.

On a side note, does anyone have the OEM EV switch from Sigma Automotive on their Prius? I'm thinking about ordering one and wouldn't mind getting some installation tips from someone who has installed one.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, looks like we're not gonna make it. i'm stuck in town for a presentation that day that i wasn't exactly expecting to have to make. :(

3. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sorry to hear that, galaxee. You and DH will be missed. Perhaps we can get together at some other time.

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Sep 18 2007, 09:26 PM) [snapback]514587[/snapback]</div>
    Great! Obviously you have your priorities right: Prius first, Hokies second. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 18 2007, 09:35 PM) [snapback]514591[/snapback]</div>
    :( :( :(

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Sep 18 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]514587[/snapback]</div>
    Don't worry about the supplies. I have a box of 200 feet of wire loom and plenty of electrical tape. Bring your car and block heater, I'll take care of the rest.

Wayne

6. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Sep 19 2007, 08:56 AM) [snapback]514745[/snapback]</div>
    Wayne is a god. 'Nuff said. :D

7. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Sep 18 2007, 08:18 PM) [snapback]514565[/snapback]</div>
    Jim,

I've never been known to turn down a cook-out. :lol: 1 person.

My TCH is looking forward to the meet. B) In this small town, it seldom gets a chance to visit with other hybrids at parking lots. :p

8. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Sep 19 2007, 08:56 AM) [snapback]514745[/snapback]</div>
    Wayne, could you give us just one reason to hate you? You must be the nicest person on the face of the planet....

9. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Very kind of you, Wayne. I hope your beneficiaries have a nice welcoming gift for you! :D

10. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The weather forecast for Richmond for this coming Saturday is looking very nice - sunny, with a high of 79.

Please let me know if I can bring something, for the cookout or whatever. :)

11. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

So is there a hypermiler's approved route from Haley to Ironbridge? :)

12. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm sure Jim has one mapped out. He hasn't told me about one yet, so I may have to go searching this evening. I do need to run some errands on that side of town, so tonight might be a good time for that.

13. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

I think it would be kinda humorous to see a line of Prii heading down the road en route to Ironbridge.... maybe turn a couple of heads. Be a good photo op' as well ;)

14. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [Deleted - duplicate post.]

15. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [Deleted - duplicate post.]

16. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Sep 25 2007, 08:49 AM) [snapback]517350[/snapback]</div>
    Why, of course! ;) Here you go.

Some details/tips:
    • Bridgewood Rd. (the right turn off Hull St.) is a slight downhill, 25 MPH, with a stop sign at the turn onto Twelve Oaks Rd. Good P&G segment, just don't get going too fast.
    • Twelve Oaks Rd. is 25 MPH, a slight uphill to a stop sign at Bailey Bridge Rd, mostly requiring ICE-on.
    • Bailey Bridge is pretty flat, pretty busy, two lanes, and 45 MPH. I generally try to wait on Twelve Oaks (unless traffic's behind me) until I see a long break in traffic. You'll be turning off Baily Bridge in less than a half mile, so you don't want or need much speed.
    • The map is a little confusing at the Bailey Bridge/Claypoint intersection. It makes it look like it's a straight shot onto Claypoint, when in fact you turn left off BB in the middle of a curve to the right.
    • Claypoint is two lanes, mostly short & gentle hills and 45 MPH, but not too heavily traveled. As long as no traffic is behind, it's great for P&G, but it's rare to make it from there to Qualla Rd. without traffic. There is a right-hand turn lane into a subdivision about a quarter mile off BB where you can let traffic by, so I generally keep it slow after making the turn off BB until I'm past the point of no return for using that lane. Claypoint ends at a 4-way stop sign at Qualla Rd. and becomes Newbys Bridge Rd. on the other side.
    • Newbys Bridge is 35 MPH, two lanes. Other than a brief dip to cross a creek, it's a steady uphill to Courthouse Rd. It's a little steep on the other side of the creek but then becomes more gradual. To put it in perspective, coming the other way is nearly perfect for a continuous glide. Like Claypoint, not too much traffic, but it's pretty unusual to be traffic-free. So between that and the uphill, I generally don't even try P&G and just keep it at ~ 35, which mostly can be done with sub-1400 RPMs.
    • Newbys Bridge ends at a light at Courthouse, at which you'll turn left. In about a quarter mile span are 3 more lights -- 2 at the VA288 ramps and the third at Belmont Rd. Go slow; these lights tend to have fairly short cycles.
    • Turn right onto Belmont Rd. Belmont begins at 35 MPH and 2 lanes, but with a good downhill to help get up to speed if needed for traffic.
    • After about a half mile the road widens to 4 lanes and changes names to Whitepine Rd. This is the official entrance to the industrial park (where we're doing the driving clinics). This is one of the best P&G routes on any of my various commutes. Though the PSL increases to 45, between its four lanes, light traffic, and relative flatness, you should be able to P&G to your heart's content, at least until the last mile or so where it goes down to two lanes. It's unusual during my normal commute time to make that last mile unmolested, but good thing is that it's a slight downhill for the first half before flattening out.
    • There is a light at Whitepine and Ironbridge Rds. Go straight and you're in the park. Shelter #1 is accessed via the first turn-in on your right.
    I don't mind leading a convoy as Scott suggests. :p

Michael and Scott, I'll PM or e-mail you a little later today. I might ask for some help with various tasks, if you don't mind me imposing on you.

See everyone Saturday. Weather forecast is looking near-perfect as of now: sunny, upper 70s. Yeehaw!

17. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    More help? :lol: Sure thing...

18. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

No prob, lemme know.

I think a convoy would be great :) Nothing like a caravan of Prii

Thanks for the notes on the route. I don't make it out to Southside too often. Unfortunately I have some considerations to make en route to Haley. 288 is the direct route, but as you know, it's all high-speed. So I think I'll wind my way down the long way using an assortment of side roads. Or I may just bite the bullet and take 288 and then re-fill after the assault on my MPG :(

19. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Sep 26 2007, 09:03 AM) [snapback]517818[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that's a bummer. There really is no good alternative that won't triple or quadruple your drive time.

20. Swissprius

Swissprius New Member

Hi folks!

I'm a Priusdriver from Switzerland. Normally I visit Prius Meetups in Switzerland or Germany, but at the moment I'm for business here in the USA (Bordentown NJ). So, for the weekend I have no business and I have not planed yet where to go. Why not make a trip 300 miles to Richmond VA to meet other Priusdrivers? Would I be welcome there? Of course, my own Prius is in Switzerland and I can not come with it, but my Rental car is also a Prius and has the same colour like mine. :)

I know, I'm a little bit late, but would there be a problem, if I also come to the meeting? Perhaps I also can answer questions about the European Prius? I'm driving Prius since more then 6 years. Since 11 months I'm driving a new Prius II (NHW20).

The colour of my Prius and that of the Rental Prius is Magnetic Grey with Dark Grey interior.

Of course I also would like to be with you by the cookout. B)

If anybody can give me an advice for a hotel or something nearby, that would be great. :)

cu
    Fabio