1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Central Virginia Prius Meetup: 9/29/07 (Confirmed)

Discussion in 'Local Clubs, Events, and Road Trips' started by JimboK, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Finally! I can get in here and post!

We are home now. What an eventful few days! We came within a few feet of being in a crash, I got sunburned (and subsequently blistered), we had a Prii party, drove to Williamsburg, goofed off and outlet shopped there, made 100 bucks by talking to a timeshare guy, had a kid ding DuPree's door (while I was sitting IN the car!) with Daddy's truck door, drove home (took 6 hours; DH thought he HAD to stop to eat), and got 50.6 mpg even though we did 70 almost the whole way.

It would have been perfect if not for the stupid kid; I could put up with the sunburn, but dammit, I hate getting my car dinged. It chipped the paint in 3 places! Small places, and you have to look for them, but I know they're there. The people were walking away, even though I had ran around the car to survey the damage. DH called to the guy and told him that his daughter had hit our car, and he reluctantly came back... he knew it had happened, and hoped we didn't say anything. The kid said "I tried to catch it", and Dad said "It's ok, baby; it was an accident". My big old butt! (and if you've seen Ros's pictures, you got a really good look at that :rolleyes: ) The kid actually SHOVED the door out to hit the car; the door was opened for a couple of minutes already, and the kid was already out of the truck, milling around. I don't know WHY she shoved the door further open.

Anyway, the guy gave us his business card, but I really don't see him paying for repairs. I guess I'll take it by the dealership for a look, anyway, and have them send the dude an estimate, and see what happens. It just burns me that Daddy didn't say anything to the kid... my dad would have had a cow. He impressed upon us at an early age that you always pay attention to your car door and never hit anyone's vehicle; people pay thousands of dollars for their cars, he said, and it just isn't right for someone else to damage it by being careless.

Ah well. I had great fun at the Prius meet, and really enjoyed meeting everyone. I've always been a shy social retard, and DH is self-conscious because of the residual effects of his brain injury, but we felt very welcome with our Prius pals. Big thanks to all of you guys!

DuPree's covered with bugs (he hates the things, and killed as many as possible), and we're still in the 'exceptional drought' (22" below normal annual rainfall, and counting), so I'm not allowed to wash him. I think I'll pull the car into my side yard early Saturday, and at least scrub the bug guts off, and hope nobody sees me. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac, and the woods are on the other side of that side yard, so I should get away with it, especially since I plan to be very conservative with water.

2. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Glad you all made it home. Sorry about DuPree's door. :(

3. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

Oof, that's a bummer about your door! I'm very sorry :(

I sympathize, because it can happen to anyone, at any time. It's basically a summary of America these days: Most people only care about themselves.

I know the old saying "two wrongs don't make a right" but it sure would feel good to leave a nice big foot sized dent in their door wouldn't it? ;)

I would definitely call the guy. Hopefully you wrote down his license plate, that way you could make an insurance claim against him. You have the card, and the license plate.

Good luck with that, and I'm sorry your baby got dinged :(

Also, thanks for the trinket. My wife has it on her keychain :)

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(You me and da Pri @ Oct 3 2007, 10:23 PM) [snapback]520978[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, you got burned and dinged! I'm so sorry. :( I feel partly resonsible for the sunburn since we kept everyone out in the sun longer than expected during the EBH installs. But I'm glad you guys could make it, and thanks so much for the gift!

I don''t think I'd use the term shy at all. You and DH were very social and cordial. Marilee really enjoyed chatting with you. Me too, of course.

I'll be sure to give you a shout when I'm down your way. My sister lives in Boone, and one of these days I'll pay her a visit. A detour to Hickory is a distinct possibility.

5. Birdums

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Oct 4 2007, 08:00 AM) [snapback]521078[/snapback]</div>
    You're very welcome. I'm glad she likes it.

6. Birdums

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Oct 4 2007, 10:55 AM) [snapback]521154[/snapback]</div>
    Don't worry about the sunburn. It's not your fault that I'm translucent and even SPF 50 lets me burn in 20 minutes! We really appreciate all you and Michael (I think... my brain's a mighty sieve) did to arrange things.

Rangerdavid lives in Boone, I think. I haven't met him yet, but when you come this way, maybe we could all meet. I think David drives DuPree's twin :)

I really did enjoy meeting you and Marilee, and Grant was agog at the mileage you got on our drive. I can bring some more stuff for Marilee to see when we meet again; I am always so flattered when anyone shows any interest in how I do my clay. I'm fascinated with it and love explaining how it's done. And if you come by our house, you can even argue with the bird :D

and I think I remember hearing the word fiancee... when's the big day?

7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(You me and da Pri @ Oct 4 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]521273[/snapback]</div>
    You're right, David and I have already discussed getting together when I make the trip. A somewhat larger gathering sounds great.

No date yet. We're in no hurry. I learned the hard way the first time not to rush.

8. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yeah, another interesting tidbit for those of you that did not join us (I only caught the tail-end of this conversation, so its accuracy may be questionable, correct me if I'm wrong):

It is possible to fill more then ~8gallons. According to Wayne, all you need to do is "burp" the prius gas tank. You have to wait for the gas to go down into the tank from the fill tube, you can speed up the process by "burping" the prius.

To burp it, you shake the prius by pushing on it, which in turn makes the gas slosh around in the bladder and allows the gas to flow down into the bladder.

9. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob64 @ Oct 5 2007, 12:47 AM) [snapback]521580[/snapback]</div>
    I'm told this is not how I'm supposed to burp my baby. Right? :lol:

10. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Oct 5 2007, 07:20 AM) [snapback]521642[/snapback]</div>
    Lol, correct.

11. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on which baby you're referring to :p

12. Birdums

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Oct 5 2007, 07:20 AM) [snapback]521642[/snapback]</div>
    Heck, give it a try, and see what happens ;)