1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Centre armrest cover mod

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Dan bo, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Dan bo

Dan bo Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all

I know there have been a few threads about the centre armrest cover and that you can buy a readymade leather cover, or use Scotch gaud or similar to protect it. However from the photos shown I wasn't sure I liked the way the readymade cover fit, so I made my own.

Made not of leather, but a pretty good quality "vinyl" type material that has a bit of stretch to it.

- The armrest comes off via 8 screws (4 front, 4 rear) and then just lifts off. You need to open then slide it to get at two of the front screws.

- The material is anchored at the front where I left it long enough to fold under and hook overtop the mounts for the 4 screws (I cut holes out so the screw mounts would fit through).

- Once I had the front reasonable good I just folded the sides under and pulled the material snug from the back and then folded it under and put the screws back in.

A little tricky to do, I had originally cut the piece pretty large as I figure it was easier to cut more off as need then it was to add it back.

The armrest slides/open perfectly. For my first "upholstering" job I think it turned out pretty good and the colour & texture adds to the interior look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last shot has nothing to do with the armrest ... I just like it and wanted to share.:)

[​IMG]

Enjoy your day!

Dan

3 people like this.
  2. Pooka

Pooka TIFOSO

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cool Look - can you post some more pics of the fabric / top view / daylight / view when open/ underside etc pics ... this is wayyy better than the leather cover which just looks ghetto imho. I have been thinking of doing a mock carbon fiber that you just overlay on the console ...

Thanks again for posting.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dan bo

Dan bo Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Pooka glad you like the mod. Here are a few more I just took in daylight.

Dan

edit: fixed missing photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Prius/lexus

Prius/lexus New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    NICE!!! I will have to do that on mine!! I have modified mine to a LEXUS! Thanks for the great Idea and pics! I love it!

1 person likes this.
  5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice job Dan! Looks like a perfect reupholstering.

Similarly, does anyone know how to remove the top of the Gen 2 center console cover?

1 person likes this.
  6. Dan bo

Dan bo Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Glad you like it, and I saw your Lexus mod in the photo albums, nicely done.

Thanks
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  7. Dan bo

Dan bo Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Boo and thank you very much! There is one spot on the pax side that is a bit loose and I may have to tighten it up, but overall I am very pleased with the job.

I've haven't seen a Gen 2 so I'm just guessing, but I would think that if it slides or folds up to open then there should be either screws holding the cap on or a type of clip.

Good luck

Dan

8. ibnird

ibnird New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't find those 8 screws. Does the very top of the armrest come off, or just the entire part that lifts up and slides forward/backward?

Nice job, by the way, and thanks!

1 person likes this.
  9. Kimoy

Kimoy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nicely done. Would you mind me asking where you got the materials from and how much I cost you?

1 person likes this.
  10. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure Vinyl is the way to go? If it gets hot then your arm will be sticking to it? I think I will either use Leather or Cloth?

Looks nice though. I like the snake skin effect.

1 person likes this.
  11. Dan bo

Dan bo Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi ibnird and thank you, glad you like it.

I only removed the top, the part that I ended up covering, not the whole slide piece. The 8 screws hold that to the part that slides.

I have attached a few shots which I hope will help. To access the front 4 screws you need to slide the lid once it is in the open/lifted position. I found this a bit tricky at first to do because once the lid is open/lifted position the lid does not slide. However I was able to get it to slide just at the point where I was beginning to lift it. You may have to play a bit with it, but it does work.

For the rear screws I just had to go mostly on feel, as I could manoeuvre myself into a position where I was able to see the cover from under (or I was afraid that if I did, I would never be able to get back up :redface:)

I hope this helps

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  12. Dan bo

Dan bo Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Kimoy

Thank you very much, was fun to do.

The material was bought at FabricLand (sowing store) here in London. We got the leather seating package however the armrest cover was fabric and both my wife and I felt that overtime it would/may wear and become shinny/smooth.

As to cost, $5 for a piece that was 39x40 inches (marked down 50% off, have to love it) and I used about 1/4 of that. As this was my first attempt at something like this, I figured if I mess up I had enough for a second.

13. Dan bo

Dan bo Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi hsiaolc and Thanks happy that you like the look.

It's a good point re the heat, but I'm not sure it's "normal" vinyl? but I don't know enough about material (see photo). I was thinking either a good heavy cloth or leather as well, but then saw this stuff and really like the pattern, "snake skin"ish as you noted.

We will see how well this takes the heat, but so far it hasn't been any worse then the hard plastic on the shifter area.

Attached Files:

14. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nice work Dan Bo. Looks like marine-grade vinyl with that knit backing, so it should be fine for a long time.

I plan on covering mine with something this summer. Whatever I use, it's going to have some kind of padding underneath it. That's the hardest d@mn armrest I've ever felt. Even if it's a layer of 1/4" landau pad.

Same goes for the door armrest - hard as rocks. I have a 90-minute one-way commute to work, and those hard arm rests are a drag.

1 person likes this.
  15. ibnird

ibnird New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It helps a lot! Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  16. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nic job Dan bo,
    I hope no snakes were harmed in the making of the cover!!lol

1 person likes this.
  17. Dan bo

Dan bo Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Tim

marine-grade eh ... that sounds good, I was pretty sure it wasn't just your normal run of the mill type vinyl. Thanks for the info and glad you like it.

I agree re the padding, especially ton the doors. I find that the centre rest at least has a bit of padding, but those door rest are brutal. I have enough material left to cover the doors, but think that I may be getting a bit over my head so will leave them for now.

Good luck with your project, hope you post the results after you finish it.

18. Dan bo

Dan bo Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great!! ... good luck and post what you end up with.

19. Dan bo

Dan bo Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks halpos4!

No not at all, only used professional stunt snakes over here :) Besides I have Irish heritage, so wouldn't want to p#ss off ST. Pat.

20. Blizzard2010

Blizzard2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Dan bo. Thanks for the thread, your armrest cover looks great. I'm in the process of trying to do the same but my armrest is currently sitting on my kitchen table, nicely covered but I'm unsure of how to get it back on the car. The screws are holding the fabric in place. How did you keep the fabric tight and in place while putting it back on the car?

1 person likes this.