1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Centre Armrest Slide and Tilt, hitting kids in back seat.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JohnRobinson, Oct 22, 2010.

1. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Centre Armrest Slide and Tilt, hitting kids in back seat. *SOLVED*

Hi all.

Been looking through loads of threads but cant seem to find anything about this.

Due to the way the armrest slides back to reveal the cup holder and then tilts it is hitting my sons legs while he is sitting in the rear seats. Cant quite see the logic in the design of this as when its slid back there is like 10 cm space between the back of the armrest and the rear seat. The design on our old 2007 was much better. No slide, just tilt. I know that my 3 boys in the back will find some way to damage it while its slid back or tilted back plus I dont really want my sons legs to be cut off in a potential accident.

So my question is, has anyone managed to successfully modify it to stop the slide and allow it just to tilt?

I have looked at it quickly and when its tilted there is a small square underneath where you can push a small plastic piece that allows you to extent the armrest back to the full length effectively making it exactly like the gen 2 model. Problem is that when its put back down you have to go through the slide and tilt process again. Im sure it should be pretty simple but hoping someone else has modded it before.

I am going to try and modify it tomorrow but dont really want to damage it in any way.

Thanks in advance.

2. Michaelvickdog123

Michaelvickdog123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Good GOD!

Is this pasenger sitting in the middle of the back seats? Otherwise, if they are near either door, why would sliding it straight back hit them in the leg? :eek:

1 person likes this.
  3. JohnRobinson

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    THREE boys. Three rear seats. My middle son is seven. No real need for the good GOD statement in my opinion.... :(

Threej likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well said, and it shows that prius is not a great family vehicle. poor designof the whole center console. i thought toyota would make better use of the empty space in front of the gen ii console, not totally screw up the whole thing. what a clusterf***. hope you have some luck with modification.:)

5. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know that my 3 boys in the back
    GOOD GOD
    Learn to read!!!!!:D

6. Sassan

Sassan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree. I dont know why anyone would want a sliding console... when would i ever want fewer cupholders? Im already uphappy with 4 small ones as it is.

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

You are not the only one. Its just a plain stupid design for a general purpose car....

8. GasSaving

GasSaving Saves $1,000/yr on gas

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the center console does a great job hiding my iPod, while still allowing full function of it. Isn't that the whole point of the design of the center console? When you have 3 in the back, I think you need to think ahead. But you're right: I don't think the Prius is designed for families with 3 kids. Maybe get a Sienna? Or the new Prius V minivan when it comes out?

1 person likes this.
  9. JohnRobinson

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I got my car a few days ago and have no intention of changing it. :p
    All I am asking is if someone has modded it before? If not Ill attempt it myself.

Well seems like I am not alone so I will take a look today and if I manage it will post some pictures.

10. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know what you mean..My kid gets in one side and slides across to the other. If the console is slid back...there is drama. This is one thing the big T did not get right I.M.O.! Let's hope some genius on the Accesories forum figures out a cool mod. I'm sure with the engineer types on this forum it will be done.

11. JohnRobinson

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well I managed it. Here is a quick video of it in action and I will give an explaination later. :rockon:

Whats great is that you can tilt it like the gen II but it can also still slide for those that want it. Or of course when the kids arent in the car. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b20bQwh-tWw]YouTube - Prius Centre Armrest Modification[/ame]

2 people like this.
  12. Michaelvickdog123

Michaelvickdog123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And you know what my "good God" comment was in regards to? Hint: not the 3 kids in the back.

But nice attempt at reading between the lines!!!!!! :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  13. JohnRobinson

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have to say that there are two ways to do this. I did it the complicated way by taking everything apart and removing the bits properly. I had to so that I could see how best to acheive it. However listed below is the quick and easy way!!!

Anyway here is how I managed it:

Attached Files:

6 people like this.
  14. JohnRobinson

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    By removing the two springs and taping the little pins back it stops the whole armrest from "locking" to the centre console. By doing this it means you can,
    1) Tilt the whole armrest like in the Gen II and
    2) Still slide the unit like normal as well as tilt it after the slide. Basically use it like normal.

Whats good is that even though the locking pins have been disabled you can still click it in place to stop it from being loose. Check the video out.

1 person likes this.
  15. JohnRobinson

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    NOW FOR THE EASY WAY:

Get 2 pieces of tape and place it over either the two pins themselves or the locating whole to basically stop the armrest from locking onto the console!!! :D

Nothing needs to be taken apart!

Attached Files:

sdtundra, bzyrice, peterjmc and 10 others like this.
  16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the fix.

17. Jocko Jackson

Jocko Jackson New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha ha when I first red this title I thought it was bout disciplining kids. Thougt this was some kind of new discipline tool this armrest thign to give them a good beating when they act up and disrespectful. :rockon:

18. JohnRobinson

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    lolol!!!! :d

19. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thats Great! Now we need some way to have it slide downward, once its tilted vertical just a little bit (5 inches?). Then it could be left open if need-be.

20. JohnRobinson

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If I understand you correctly then when its fully open (gen II style) it can still be slid backwards or downwards like its designed to do.