1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Certain buttons not working

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BluePriusVee, Aug 6, 2016.

1. BluePriusVee

BluePriusVee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

I have a 2013 Prius v, bought new slightly more than 3 years ago and with ~45 K miles on it. Recently I noticed the following issues with the center console:
    • The Apps button and the Call button stopped working, as in, when I press on them nothing happens.
    • When I go into the Setup screen, pressing on the Bluetooth option does not do anything, while other options work.
    • My car does not show up as a Bluetooth device in my phone anymore.
    • When I go into the Audio screen, pressing on the Source option does not do anything.
    All of these problems started on the same day. Any idea what might have caused these, and how I can troubleshoot before I get it checked out by a professional? When I took it for a scheduled maintenance to the dealer, he said the software is up to date. I didn't ask him to diagnose this issue yet.

Thanks!

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anything happen that day, or just before that day, like getting your car cleaned/detailed? Or maybe someone spilled something on your dashboard and some liquid got inside?

New headunits are very expensive, and used ones are a couple of hundred as well.

3. BluePriusVee

BluePriusVee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There was no spill or detailing or anything. The only thing I remember was that my son's portable DVD player's charger was connected to the cigarette lighter port and to the DVD player before the car was turned on. While trying to diagnose I unplugged the charger and did not put it back on to charge. Could it be a blown fuse or something?

4. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

BluePriusVee... are you out there in the hinterlands somewhere? Since you went e-Dark six (6) months ago, after just two (2) posts, may I assume you solved/resolved your problem... or did it "solved/resolved" itself. If you "fixed" it or it "fixed" itself... please share the details of it here with us Gathered Prius Vee'ers.

I had a subset problem of your "Certain Buttons Not Working" problem. In my case, it was two (2) buttons, the “Apps” & “Voice Command” buttons, which went non-functional.

I drove home last night with the NAV fully functioning per spec, and the Nav Lady’s “Sweet Talking” me to “Home.” When I got home, I parked and locked my Prius v FIVE. I got up this morning (the next morning) and fired up my Prius v FIVE “Petrol Warfighter” to Carpe Diem.

The NAV Screen briefly appeared and started to "Boot Up” with “Toyota,” but then quickly went to a “Confirm”… and then to a “Blank Screen." I shut the car down and powered it back up a couple of times, in an attempt to “Reboot The Nav,” but to no avail. When I tried, the other “Set Up,” “Car,” “Phone,” & “Audio” screens-functions they all worked smashingly.

At the end of today, I parked the vee in my driveway at home, and powered it down with a “Still Blank, Non-Functioning NAV Screen & Voice Command Button.” I ate dinner, and came back out to the vee to attempt to “Trouble Shoot/Fix” it. This time I “Powered Up” the car in the “Accessory Mode.” Upon doing this, The NAV went and "Booted Up” with “Toyota” to “Confirm” to "Loading Map," as per normal, and all Nav & Map functions and the "Voice Command" function were in full operation.

Whether it was “Samurai Magic” or me alternately trying to “Boot Up” the NAV in the “Accessory Mode,” rather then in the “Power/Operating Mode,” that had anything to do with “de-scrogging” the Nav, I have not a clue. However, the above narrative describes the sequence of events, and my actions that got me from a “No Werkum At All Nav” back to a “Werkum Normal & Fine” Nav.

5. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You can reboot the head unit while driving pressing and holding music on/off/volume knob for 3 or 5 seconds. Turning anything off and on problems half the time.

6. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Greetings Chazz8 - I am pleased to see a known, fellow 2012 Prius v FIVE "Plank-Owner" like you who has contributed to these Prius Forums since you have been on here. I have been an active, dedicated, and participating fuel-sipping PriusChat member since 7/7/2007.

Your PV5ATP "Petrol Warfighter" must struggle through New York's Four Seasons, whilst, mine here on the Florida Space Coast gets to operate in just two (2) seasons. Three (3) months of Hot, Heavy 100%, Full-Time A/C use, and nine (9) months of moderate, mostly balmy weather with Minimal "A/C ON"-to-Mostly Using The "Natural Air Conditioning" Non-A/C Ventilation Mode.

In my observation, the general future and tenor on this site has cooled from the heady, hypermiling-focused early days of Prius GEN II. However, you, Chazz8, have always maintained yourself and your fuel-sipping posture with a steady-as-she-goes "Old School, Gentlemanly" concern and focus on achieving and maintaining stellar MPG-FE. Thank you for being here and helpfully chiming in on posts.

If this Nav "Glitch," what for me was a "Singularity" of a "Dead-In-The-Water" Nav recurs, I will give your "You can reboot the head unit while driving pressing and holding music on/off/volume knob for 3 or 5 seconds. Turning anything off and on problems half the time."

Wishing your wife, and you a very Happy Valentine's Day 2017.