1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Certificate of Origin

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Subversive, May 11, 2006.

1. Subversive

Subversive New Member

I bought my car at an out-of-state dealer, so instead of them titling the car, I need to take the Certicate of Origin to either my state RMV or my insurance company and do it myself. Problem is, when I picked up my car, they didn't have the form ready, furthermore, they estimated that it would take a couple of weeks to put it together and then send it to me in the mail. I don't get it. They had the VIN number at least a week before I picked up the car. They are a reputable dealer with lots of positive reviews here. But the short of it is that my insurance company will insure it for a total of seven days, after which it will be uninsured, until the dealer makes the documentation available to me. Worse yet, after I drove my new car back home from Virginia, my insurance company informed me that the temporary plates the dealer put on my vehicle are not recognized in home state of Massachusetts, so any cop seeing me may at their discretion: do nothing, give me a warning, or impound my vehicle. So my new car sits at home in my driveway, unable to be driven. The dealership says they will try to hurry things up on their end, but I don't understand why the paperwork wasn't ready in the first place. Has anyone else here suffered through this? How long did it take your ou-of-state dealer to deliver to you the Certificate of Origin?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we didn't get our CO for a couple weeks... but we live down the road from our dealer and were registering out of state, kind of a different situation.

how do the cops know you aren't from virginia, driving around to visit relatives in your new car or something? i don't see this causing much of a problem.

i know in WI as soon as you send out the registration certificate you can use your plates, so long as you have a copy of the app in your car.

but what's with your insurance co?

3. Subversive

Subversive New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 11 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]253807[/snapback]</div>
    Doesn't matter. Massachusetts considers such vehicles to be unregistered.
    Massachusetts requires that cars be taxed before they are registered. I can't pay the tax until I have the Certificate of Origin, because it is all the same procedure.
    I don't think it's them. They have always been helpful and I get a great deal via my employer. They will insure the vehicle 7 days which is the standard in Massachusetts--I'm keeping it off the road because I don't want it impounded as an unregistered vehicle.

4. tacomel

tacomel New Member

One of our two Prius purchases from Illinois featured a dealer that could not handle the WI registration. The CO was received via overnight (DHL express) exactly one week after the purchase.