1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Certified IT folks... have some questions.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by galaxee, Sep 4, 2007.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we had looked into aircraft mechanic certification a while back, actually. ;) yeah, lots of certifications required. he viewed that as his "possible alternate future career interest" until his health deteriorated.

he considered doing parts or service writing, and we even looked at management positions- but if he can't be the guy who fixes the problems, he doesn't have the heart to stand on the sidelines. same with teaching. all 10 ASEs will stay current, though it sucks that the last 2 will not be reimbursed (the advanced ones too, ouch) and all future recert's will be out of pocket too.

faced with what we envisioned as worst-case scenario, that is, abrupt end to career with nowhere to turn... he's made his decision. i gotta stand behind him.

2. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we had looked into aircraft mechanic certification a while back, actually. ;) yeah, lots of certifications required. he viewed that as his "possible alternate future career interest" until his health deteriorated.

he considered doing parts or service writing, and we even looked at management positions- but if he can't be the guy who fixes the problems, he doesn't have the heart to stand on the sidelines. same with teaching. all 10 ASEs will stay current, though it sucks that the last 2 will not be reimbursed (the advanced ones too, ouch) and all future recert's will be out of pocket too.

faced with what we envisioned as worst-case scenario, that is, abrupt end to career with nowhere to turn... he's made his decision. i gotta stand behind him.

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Okay, my advice is crucial:

Get certs by brute force. Skip the class. If a cert is 6 $100 tests, start taking them, even before you are ready. A class is a few thousand dollars and takes forever. $1800 will buy you THREE tries at SIX tests.

If you want MCSE, get these two books:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mcsecoreian/index.html

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mcseceeian/index.html

Get them from bookpool.com. Read the first test section with a PC running in front of you, then go take the test. If you fail, come home, read it again, go take the test, the same day if you can. Do it again the next day. You'll pass by then.

Repeat 5 more times.

Now you'll have an MCSE. Afraid of being only book smart? Don't worry, no place will care, you won't get any tasks that are too hard right away, and if you are dropped into a mess, BRING THE BOOK with you. O'Reilly is the most respected name in computer books. Nobody will look down on you for reading it while you do IT work. Other publishers, yes, especially those big thick books that are sold by the pound. I'll say this again; pretty much only buy O'Reilly books unless you have no other choice.

You want CCNA? Skip the class. Get this book:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/index.html

and maybe these two books:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101510/index.html

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cisconut2/index.html

Repeat process for CCNA certification just like the MCSE.

Don't own any router? Get a setup like this from ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-CCNA-CCNP-Lab-Ki...1QQcmdZViewItem

SKIP the A+ certification. It's embarrasing to admit out loud that you have this. I think it's for the extra 50 cents an hour at CompUSA.

You want Unix?

This book is the Unix Bible, the sacred tome:

http://www.oreillynet.com/catalog/esa3/

This is a book so good, that the 1995 edition is still relevant to many sysadmins. The 2002 edition is current now. (Yes, that's right, a computer book that only needs updating every seven years).

To sum up: SKIP the certification training class. You'll save time and money. BUY O'Reilly(Nutshell if possible). BUY Cisco routers for the house. Run Windows and Unix servers at home off of cheap PC's. Go work for a temp agency, they'll hire anybody with the certs, and you can get your foot in the door.

This will get you rolling faster than courses and classes will. Certification classes are for people afraid to get their feet wet and are a waste of time and money.

Now, if you want to go to COLLEGE, that's a whole different story. Computer Science, the real deal, is worth the money in the end because of the types of jobs you can get. These classes have value and will challenge you, and can teach you to write code, very good code.

Galaxee, I WILL be very upset if I find out DH just enrolled at DeVry or ITT Tech. Please report back to me that he just spent $100 on an MCSE test and bombed it but now he knows what the test looks like, and is busy reading a Nutshell book.

Make me proud.

Nate

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Okay, my advice is crucial:

Get certs by brute force. Skip the class. If a cert is 6 $100 tests, start taking them, even before you are ready. A class is a few thousand dollars and takes forever. $1800 will buy you THREE tries at SIX tests.

If you want MCSE, get these two books:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mcsecoreian/index.html

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mcseceeian/index.html

Get them from bookpool.com. Read the first test section with a PC running in front of you, then go take the test. If you fail, come home, read it again, go take the test, the same day if you can. Do it again the next day. You'll pass by then.

Repeat 5 more times.

Now you'll have an MCSE. Afraid of being only book smart? Don't worry, no place will care, you won't get any tasks that are too hard right away, and if you are dropped into a mess, BRING THE BOOK with you. O'Reilly is the most respected name in computer books. Nobody will look down on you for reading it while you do IT work. Other publishers, yes, especially those big thick books that are sold by the pound. I'll say this again; pretty much only buy O'Reilly books unless you have no other choice.

You want CCNA? Skip the class. Get this book:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/index.html

and maybe these two books:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101510/index.html

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cisconut2/index.html

Repeat process for CCNA certification just like the MCSE.

Don't own any router? Get a setup like this from ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-CCNA-CCNP-Lab-Ki...1QQcmdZViewItem

SKIP the A+ certification. It's embarrasing to admit out loud that you have this. I think it's for the extra 50 cents an hour at CompUSA.

You want Unix?

This book is the Unix Bible, the sacred tome:

http://www.oreillynet.com/catalog/esa3/

This is a book so good, that the 1995 edition is still relevant to many sysadmins. The 2002 edition is current now. (Yes, that's right, a computer book that only needs updating every seven years).

To sum up: SKIP the certification training class. You'll save time and money. BUY O'Reilly(Nutshell if possible). BUY Cisco routers for the house. Run Windows and Unix servers at home off of cheap PC's. Go work for a temp agency, they'll hire anybody with the certs, and you can get your foot in the door.

This will get you rolling faster than courses and classes will. Certification classes are for people afraid to get their feet wet and are a waste of time and money.

Now, if you want to go to COLLEGE, that's a whole different story. Computer Science, the real deal, is worth the money in the end because of the types of jobs you can get. These classes have value and will challenge you, and can teach you to write code, very good code.

Galaxee, I WILL be very upset if I find out DH just enrolled at DeVry or ITT Tech. Please report back to me that he just spent $100 on an MCSE test and bombed it but now he knows what the test looks like, and is busy reading a Nutshell book.

Make me proud.

Nate

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    wow, tahts amazing

6. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    wow, tahts amazing

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    reporting back for Nate because he sounds serious! :lol:

we got books last week at barnes and noble. i forget the name of the books, but i know they're not what you have listed above. he is mostly through the A+ book, he just wanted to read it to make sure he was caught up on the basic stuff. he has run into 1 thing he did not already know. this was mostly assurance to him, i think.

three books for MCSE, i think, are up next. zero training classes. we decided it's too questionable, too expensive, not worth the money, and they don't qualify for true student loans. and i'm tapped out on student loans till spring semester.

will look into the o'reilly books in the future, for sure.

as far as testing goes, we're going to try for passing all tests on the first try. he did it with the ASEs, he hopes to do the same with these. money is kind of a big factor right now.

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    reporting back for Nate because he sounds serious! :lol:

we got books last week at barnes and noble. i forget the name of the books, but i know they're not what you have listed above. he is mostly through the A+ book, he just wanted to read it to make sure he was caught up on the basic stuff. he has run into 1 thing he did not already know. this was mostly assurance to him, i think.

three books for MCSE, i think, are up next. zero training classes. we decided it's too questionable, too expensive, not worth the money, and they don't qualify for true student loans. and i'm tapped out on student loans till spring semester.

will look into the o'reilly books in the future, for sure.

as far as testing goes, we're going to try for passing all tests on the first try. he did it with the ASEs, he hopes to do the same with these. money is kind of a big factor right now.

9. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Another thing to consider:

Where to look for employment. Every single large organization needs IT support. Keep in mind:

Financial Institutions - many IT jobs require a background check, any database experience is relevant.
    Hotels - most now maintain a wireless high speed network, as well as their own, critical machines - some networking knowlege is esential as these are usually seperate DMZs. The larger chains usually hire through a central corporate personel department.
    Hospitals - LOTS of computers.
    Schools - Prev. discussed.
    Local government agencies - most come with unions, pension plans, etc. and req. background checks. There are numerous web sites for searching government agencies for jobs.
    The Local Paper, depending on the size of their operation.

Good luck.

10. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Another thing to consider:

Where to look for employment. Every single large organization needs IT support. Keep in mind:

Financial Institutions - many IT jobs require a background check, any database experience is relevant.
    Hotels - most now maintain a wireless high speed network, as well as their own, critical machines - some networking knowlege is esential as these are usually seperate DMZs. The larger chains usually hire through a central corporate personel department.
    Hospitals - LOTS of computers.
    Schools - Prev. discussed.
    Local government agencies - most come with unions, pension plans, etc. and req. background checks. There are numerous web sites for searching government agencies for jobs.
    The Local Paper, depending on the size of their operation.

Good luck.

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    galaxee, go return the non-O'Reilly books and get the O'Reilly Nutshell books.

I mean it.

The A+ book, and all those other books, are there to stroke your ego. Don't let your man fall into the trap, reading the book that has everything in it, and reassuring himself because he's reading about topics he already knows. That's what those books are for. That's what the classes are for. Stroking egos and wasting time and money.

O'Reilly, through some mysterious force in the universe, prints books that only contain things that you don't already know. And even more mysteriously, explains it to you in a way that makes you understand it right away, and remember it later.

Listen to me. I'm looking you straight in the eye. I am a former Toyota Master Technician who went into the tech field, and have done well. I know exactly where your husband stands, more so than anyone else ever will. He is smart, analytical, and technical, and can leapfrog the process.

I hope that you don't even bother responding to this post because you got in your Prius and went to Barnes and Noble to return whatever oversized books you have and are buying the O'Reilly right now. Can't find them? Hint: they are the tiny books with no crap filler in them.

Nate

12. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    galaxee, go return the non-O'Reilly books and get the O'Reilly Nutshell books.

I mean it.

The A+ book, and all those other books, are there to stroke your ego. Don't let your man fall into the trap, reading the book that has everything in it, and reassuring himself because he's reading about topics he already knows. That's what those books are for. That's what the classes are for. Stroking egos and wasting time and money.

O'Reilly, through some mysterious force in the universe, prints books that only contain things that you don't already know. And even more mysteriously, explains it to you in a way that makes you understand it right away, and remember it later.

Listen to me. I'm looking you straight in the eye. I am a former Toyota Master Technician who went into the tech field, and have done well. I know exactly where your husband stands, more so than anyone else ever will. He is smart, analytical, and technical, and can leapfrog the process.

I hope that you don't even bother responding to this post because you got in your Prius and went to Barnes and Noble to return whatever oversized books you have and are buying the O'Reilly right now. Can't find them? Hint: they are the tiny books with no crap filler in them.

Nate

13. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Sep 12 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]511411[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with this 100% - O'Reilly books are by far the best out there. I've been programming since a very young age, and have been exposed to just about every type of programming book out there (and trust me, there are a ton more than you'll find at B&N). O'Reilly are the best. When i need a book for anything, thats what i stock my shelf with. Heck, when i was in school, i often had the required book for the class sitting on my shelf next to the applicable O'Reilly book.

14. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Sep 12 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]511411[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with this 100% - O'Reilly books are by far the best out there. I've been programming since a very young age, and have been exposed to just about every type of programming book out there (and trust me, there are a ton more than you'll find at B&N). O'Reilly are the best. When i need a book for anything, thats what i stock my shelf with. Heck, when i was in school, i often had the required book for the class sitting on my shelf next to the applicable O'Reilly book.

15. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Sep 11 2007, 11:54 PM) [snapback]511117[/snapback]</div>
    That's totally not the point of a computer science education, or even college in general.

A college education should be seen as preparing you for a lifetime of learning. I hire software developers, and the ability to write code is a low-order skill that you're assumed to have to even get past the initial filtering done by the HR recruiters.

Software development can be a very lucrative career. A senior developer at my company can easily receive cash compensation in the low-to-mid $200k range, between salary, profit sharing, bonuses, and stock grants. And the very top tech positions, which have titles like "Distinguished Engineer" or "Fellow" have base salaries over $300k. But these positions are much harder to come by with all of the offshoring and outsourcing taking place in the industry. Coming right out of school, you're not going to get heavily recruited unless your degree is from MIT, CMU, Stanford, or a similar top engineering school. If you've got some solid experience in industry, that changes things a lot. However, I've seen a lot of average performers with degrees from mediocre schools lose their jobs since 2000, and they've had to change careers as no one wants to pay the premium of a US employee unless you're a star performer.

On the other hand, if you have the skills that are in demand, and a solid track record, you'll have no shortage of job offers. I have a friend with a very impressive resume who takes contract development jobs and his phone rings off the hook with people who want to hire him for $150 or more per hour.

16. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Sep 11 2007, 11:54 PM) [snapback]511117[/snapback]</div>
    That's totally not the point of a computer science education, or even college in general.

A college education should be seen as preparing you for a lifetime of learning. I hire software developers, and the ability to write code is a low-order skill that you're assumed to have to even get past the initial filtering done by the HR recruiters.

Software development can be a very lucrative career. A senior developer at my company can easily receive cash compensation in the low-to-mid $200k range, between salary, profit sharing, bonuses, and stock grants. And the very top tech positions, which have titles like "Distinguished Engineer" or "Fellow" have base salaries over $300k. But these positions are much harder to come by with all of the offshoring and outsourcing taking place in the industry. Coming right out of school, you're not going to get heavily recruited unless your degree is from MIT, CMU, Stanford, or a similar top engineering school. If you've got some solid experience in industry, that changes things a lot. However, I've seen a lot of average performers with degrees from mediocre schools lose their jobs since 2000, and they've had to change careers as no one wants to pay the premium of a US employee unless you're a star performer.

On the other hand, if you have the skills that are in demand, and a solid track record, you'll have no shortage of job offers. I have a friend with a very impressive resume who takes contract development jobs and his phone rings off the hook with people who want to hire him for $150 or more per hour.

17. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ok ok ok! i will talk to DH tonight and we will return the books he has and order the ones online. the prices look attractive at bookpool.com.

he's not too into programming or software development- sorry to those who are, it's just not his thing. being a former auto tech (ouch, that still kind hurts to say) he has gotten into fixing things, maintaining things, etc.

something about fixing something that doesn't work. it gets him. he gets it. it makes him immensely happy.

a continued thanks for the continued advice. we have more to discuss.

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ok ok ok! i will talk to DH tonight and we will return the books he has and order the ones online. the prices look attractive at bookpool.com.

he's not too into programming or software development- sorry to those who are, it's just not his thing. being a former auto tech (ouch, that still kind hurts to say) he has gotten into fixing things, maintaining things, etc.

something about fixing something that doesn't work. it gets him. he gets it. it makes him immensely happy.

a continued thanks for the continued advice. we have more to discuss.

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 12 2007, 03:31 PM) [snapback]511477[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe he can fix my software; it usually doesn't work. :lol:

Tom

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 12 2007, 03:31 PM) [snapback]511477[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe he can fix my software; it usually doesn't work. :lol:

Tom