1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Certified IT folks... have some questions.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by galaxee, Sep 4, 2007.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ 2007 09 19 19:47) [snapback]515084[/snapback]</div>
    No, no, no. You've invested waaaay too much to give up now. :)

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 19 2007, 07:47 PM) [snapback]515084[/snapback]</div>
    Don't take offense at this, but having been a Grad Student for about 4 years, I now see an Advanced degree as a sign of stubborness and determination rather than intelligence. :p

But don't do the dropout route, its not all that great either. ;) Be stubborn and determined. :)

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i considered leaving with my master's about 2 years ago. now it's far too late to walk away from it, besides, i've got a lot going for me now. don't worry, all of us here see the doctoral degree as a measure of how much crap you're willing to take for 3 letters at the end of your name :lol:

we will definitely check into some of the local school districts when he's ready to take that first job.

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    galaxee, it physically pains me to hear DH is still reading the A+ book.

Nate

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    me too, Nate. me too.

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Sep 12 2007, 06:54 PM) [snapback]511602[/snapback]</div>
    funny this should come up...

after almost 2 months of hard studying and taking practice tests for the MCSEs... he's decided hospital equipment IS ACTUALLY what he wants to do. apparently he just had to come up with the idea himself. sorta. see, he talked to a friend of a friend who works on x-ray machines. and it somehow connected that he would like to do that.

nevermind that this idea has been presented to him previously...

LOL, ain't life funny... i've been researching educational programs for about 3 hours. so now we're trying to figure out how to do a 5 semester AAS degree when the nearest school is over 2 hours away and we will not be here for 5 more semesters. we will probably be contacting tech schools back home to figure ideal arrangements, i think, since that's where we're planning on going when we're done here. fortunately there are 2 in our home state, funny again that one of them is a mile from where i went to college!

it's his choice, he's the one who's gotta be happy doing what he does. in the meantime he's looking for a job fixing laboratory equipment like the stuff i work with. again, LOL. it just had to come to him i guess.

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 27 2007, 11:35 PM) [snapback]531495[/snapback]</div>
    Good luck to the both of you. :) :)

8. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Oct 28 2007, 09:00 AM) [snapback]531568[/snapback]</div>
    +1

There certainly is a future in medical equipment repair - what with an aging population.... And that is one job that can't be outsourced... there is the minor issue of having to physically see what is wrong with the device.

9. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure if this will help but:

Galaxee, is your husband a hands on type of person?

If so, I'd recommend asking some friend for a box of "spare computer parts". Preferably a complete set of spare computer parts, just so your husband can get some hands on experience with computers.
    Most IT people or computer gamers have a ton of old computer parts laying around. If you can, ask for them. They're probably worthless anyway.

Right, so now you have a bunch of computer parts, now try building a computer with it. Don't worry about buying a fancy case or anything other then the stack of parts that people give you (may want to mark them with a piece of tape, to remember who donated them to you), you can even use a shoebox or any sort of flat wooden board (some parts of the computer needs clearance below the motherboard when assembled).

Anyway, if you get the motherboard booklet, it can even tell how to assemble a computer. If you need help, you can either ask here or look online for the numerous guides. Either way, the process of building an entire computer is definitely worth the time spent. 'Cause that's what you'll be doing if someones hardware part needs to get installed or replaced. Also, troubleshooting and getting the thing to work is also educational.

Things to keep in mind: remember to plug in the heatsink/fan, its like the radiator of a car, and to discharge any static, which is akin to jumping a prius with the + and - mixed up, before touching anything (touch something metal, like a car). Also, don't force any part to go in. If it doesn't fit, take it out and double-check the alignment. If you break a pin on the processor/motherboard, depending on what type of spare parts the guy has, will most likely result in a broken part.

You can probably open the case of your current computer and see how the parts inside of the case are put together.

Personally, I think the A+ is a bit worthless. I don't think anyone in the field cares exactly how many pins a XXX connector has. Other then that, it is mostly identifying parts and maintaining it by vacumming the dust from the inside. (Granted, I never took the A+, so I have no idea what is on it except from what other people have told me... which may be outdated).

Having worked in the help desk before, it is sometimes VERY fustrating - sometimes some people manage to get their computer to mess up, and you just can't figure out why - it is sometimes just a bug in the software or some sort of obscure conflict/corrupted file. Most of it is knowing where and how to change the settings of the software.

10. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    "something about fixing something that doesn't work. it gets him. he gets it. it makes him immensely happy."

omigod! my true twin lives! I'm this EXACTLY! Okay, sorry, no more exclamations, but when a situation occurs that is SO similar to your own...anyway...I, too want to get into the IT or computer building/troubleshooting world. I want to start my own business, be the geek squad without the big box corporate thing. It's the how to get a consistent revenue stream that worries me. I'm good at most everything computer-related, and would love to help others fix or build new ones and make a living.

Good luck Galaxee. Know that up here in PA your twin rooting for you!

Again, wow, I cannot beleive this is all so close to home similar...

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks for the well wishes folks :)

the computer career is out... he decided he needed something more mechanical with a bit more solid outlook. no more undesired, unplanned career changes. the plan is now to work toward an AAS degree in biomedical equipment technology.

some things are still up in the air, but any way you slice it he will be taking some classes this spring. probably gen-ed requirements online but it's a start!