1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles Growing

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wjtracy, Jun 13, 2016.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Article says CPO Certified Pre-Owned is increasingly important for dealers. I'd certainly think a certified pre-owned Prius is a good buy. I am considering for next Prius as our car taxes in VA are quite high, so a decent used car would be double-whammy savings.

At car dealers, 'certified pre-owned' is the new used

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is the warranty? i would like to see one year on everything. 'some offer 2 year extension on existing warranty'.
    there are too many variables by dealer/mfg., but i think it could be a good value if done correctly.
    'factory trained mechanics inspect the car and recondition it'. more likely they wash and wax it, give it a quick look see, and fix anything obvious. ymmv.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am thinking most of these are going to be <50000 miles so on a Prius you would still have 8-10 yrs 100k-150k miles on the Hybrid stuff. Then I think you get 1-yr.

bisco likes this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The last two vehicles I purchased I had the "luxury" of purchasing new.
    I'm pretty sure the next vehicle I may purchase will be a "newer" used vehicle.

I think with the tools available now, Carfax, records checks..etc...the risk with a used vehicle can be minimized, and the amount of new car depreciation is ridiculous.

In just 3 years, I could buy the Prius I bought new, for about 1/2 the cost.
    I'm happy with my Prius, and enjoy the benefits of being it's first and so far only owner, but I don't think I'm paying that premium again in the future.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the thing i like about new is car treatment. my 4 year old, 40,000 mile prius gets treated with kid gloves. the last two have been passed down to family members. now that's 'certified'. yes, it comes with the cost of huge depreciation.
    now that i'm retired, i maybe keeping this one a bit longer, but at least it's practically showroom new.

something can be done to mitigate new car cost by the savvy buyer, especially for those with patience.

there is definitely a place for cpo if done correctly, but let's not forget the best part of buying a used prius right now is gas prices.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There surely is a LOT nice about owning a new vehicle.
    But the way I look at it, I take such good care of my vehicle anyway, PLUS I usually drive less than the average amount of miles per year, I can buy a slightly higher mileage vehicle and gain some value, as I reduce the average total number of miles driven per year as long as I own it.

Right now, I'm a not looking at anything. Still enjoying my Prius. And when I say "Newer Used" I'm thinking 4 years old or less. But I think my next gambit...will be in the used vehicle market.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, a 4 year old car in good shape should last a long time with no major repairs. unfortunately, from time to time, we see them with problems. hopefully, cpo would help reduce/eliminate that. but i don't think it's any better than the warranty, like buying a rebuilt battery.

8. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We did one on a 2013 Camry Hybrid XLE. about 50k miles, fantastic shape. Forget the warranty, but very good. In addition, the certified leases come with 15k miles per year, more than we needed. In three years, we'll probably get a newer one depending on what's out then.