1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Challenge: Can Lane Departure Alert be reprogrammed to Lane Keep Assist?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Gen 3 for me, Mar 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This may be why originally manufacturers may be hesitant to put certain features in mass-produced cars until they're familiar. How many tests (or test requests) were made about the PCS when the Gen 3 was launched? I'm pretty sure no one tested their PCS on their Lexus. (even if it was a cardboard box wrapped in aluminium foil).

While I applaud Tesla for bringing these features to mass market for a reasonable option price, it also means they have to bear the brunt of user-fault operation. Luckily Elon is smart enough to include sensors and recording devices to determine whether it was a failure of Autopilot (sensors, ECU, cameras) or whether it was driver error.

2. Jpparker19

Jpparker19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    From my unscientific testing of steering assist, in my opinion, it should be less classified as a safety feature and more of an accessory. Where I live it is primarily country roads and highways. However, my daily commute adds to that city streets and freeways. The results are all over the place. The manual does provide a list of conditions which reduces the effectiveness of the feature. During daytime hours, that list of caveat should be expanded to include anytime the sun's angle is not directly behind the vehicle. Night has been equally challenging. Wet or dry roads, the results have varied making it difficult to correlate. It could be how the road was painted and quality of material used. It is just so random. Regrettably where I live the Prime is a Unicorn. It was purchased out of the local market. I have brought it into the local dealer in an attempt validate if it is an isolated or systemic issue. There are no other owners within a 200-mile range, that the regional service manager is aware of, that can be compared against for collecting data. I have been attempting to develop a template to post on the Prius Forum that could be used gather more data.

#22 Jpparker19, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017