1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Challenge: Name an institution that has donated more humantarian aid for the sick and poor than the

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, May 2, 2006.

1. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

The PS was there this morning...

2. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 4 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]249799[/snapback]</div>
    you set sail across the sea
    of long past thoughts and memories
    childhood's end your fantasies
    merge with harsh realities
    and then as the sail is hoist
    you find your eyes are growing moist
    and all the fears never voiced
    say you have to make the final choice

(guess this has nothing to do with the subject at hand; I was just psyched to see Pink Floyd lyrics) :)

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

There are those who think that life
    Has nothing left to chance
    With a host of holy horrors
    To direct our aimless dance

A planet of playthings
    We dance on the strings
    Of powers we cannot perceive
    The stars aren’t aligned ---
    Or the gods are malign
    Blame is better to give than receive

You can choose a ready guide
    In some celestial voice
    If you choose not to decide
    You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
    And kindness that can kill
    I will choose a path that’s clear
    I will choose free will

4. ml86

ml86 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 4 2006, 06:40 AM) [snapback]249597[/snapback]</div>
    The quality of your discourse has made an otherwise interesting topic adolescent.

How much would you donate to the poor based on a bet that my legs don't grow together?

[attachmentid=3229]

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 3 2006, 08:44 PM) [snapback]249513[/snapback]</div>
    Well said.

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 4 2006, 05:56 AM) [snapback]249619[/snapback]</div>
    It came from me and then I changed my mind. That's ok isn't it? I don't understand what your trying to say in your second paragraph.
    Could you give it another try?

Wildkow

7. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 3 2006, 12:21 PM) [snapback]249203[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think it is hypocritical just careless on my part. I have been very busy lately. Calm down and/or polish up your online search skills. Try Googling "paul davies nature" you will find the article 4th one down. Can't verify it cause I don't have a sunscription to Nature.

Davies, P.C.W., Davis, T.M. and Lineweaver, C.H., Black holes constrain varying constants, Nature 418(6898):602–603, 8 August 2002.

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Max Smart @ May 4 2006, 06:34 PM) [snapback]249995[/snapback]</div>
    Won't take that bet. But as a Christian I would gladly donate a sum of money if it will help procure a sense of humor for you! :lol:

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 4 2006, 06:38 AM) [snapback]249637[/snapback]</div>
    BTW if I have carelessly left out any other ref/cites to support my statements by all means please ask. As you can see so far I actually do have supporting evidence to back myself, except in the case of an opinion, unlike some others on this board.

Wildkow

8. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I'd like to help with the accounting, Wildkow, but I need your help in sorting the cost of a couple of debits while you are adding up the contributions.

How much should I charge for each instance of the following:

1. Rape
    2. Murder
    3. Torture
    4. Kidnapping

E.g., if the church tortures someone to insanity, how many weeks does the church have to feed the person to satisfy the debit (assuming, of course, that you consider torturing by the church to be a debitable action).

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ May 5 2006, 07:39 PM) [snapback]250598[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know EricGo why are you asking me?

Wildkow

p.s. Is there a snowballs chance in an eternally buring hell that you might venture an answer to my challenge?

10. Jeff Beaver

Jeff Beaver Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 1 2006, 11:34 PM) [snapback]248438[/snapback]</div>
    Might also want to name an institution, such as religion in general, that has contributed more to art and architecture.

Jeff

11. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 6 2006, 03:17 AM) [snapback]250683[/snapback]</div>
    To point out that your question is ludricrous .. at best.

You obviously ascribe value to 'humanitarian aid'. You presumably think it is a good thing, and more the better.
    Do you think rape, torture, murder, pillaging, and destruction are bad things ? That the less, the better ?

Do you think they are bad, but only a little bit ? Or unforgivably bad ?
    Do you have one scale if commited by an infidel, and another if commited by your church ?

If a person finds Jesus, is prior pedophilia leading to murder forgiven and forgotten ?

In short, it is your bloody faith, and your thread. Speak out. Tell us why you support an institution that has the murder and enslavement of untold tens if not hundreds of millions on it's hands.

I am curious.

12. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ May 6 2006, 08:30 AM) [snapback]250726[/snapback]</div>
    Yes

Is this a trick question along the lines of "Have you quit beating you wife?" ;)

Oh your good, asking a similar/same question in different language hoping for different/conflicting answers. Nice try. See above then define "only a little bit."

You should look up the "Theft on the Cross" for this question. I only know one sin that is unforgivable and know of no one that has committed it. Do you know which one it is?

No

Jam 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is become guilty of all.
    . . .
    Jam 2:12 So speak ye, and so do, as men that are to be judged by a law of liberty.
    Jam 2:13 For judgment is without mercy to him that hath showed no mercy: mercy glorieth against judgment.

Thank God for grace.

Depends, see also the prior answer referring to the theft on the cross.

The particular church/institution I go to does not commit or support murder or enslavement never has and never will. People on the other do, and as I have said in the past the Church body is made up of people some good and some bad. But to paint with a broad stroke the entire actions and history of an institution because of the actions of a few is nothing less than bigorty, blind hate and intolerance.

Do you think these are bad things?

Do you think less is better?

Do you think they are bad, but only a little bit?

Wildkow

p.s. I answered your question do you have the integrity to answer mine including the original?

p.p.s. Where do you get yours numbers from or do you just make them up on the go? <_<

13. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ May 3 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]249114[/snapback]</div>
    airportkid

Still looking up the "History of Education" as it relates to your claims above? I guess that you could in a way say that some of your statements were correct in that the Churches job is entirely different from that of scientific research. But if that is the case then I would be correct in saying that the scientific community has never "saved" anyone. Has never really fed anyone or set a broken bone etc. etc. Care to compare apples with apples?

Wildkow

p.s. I might need to further define my point. Where does scientific knowledge come from? Who was responsible for first spreading this knowledge and still plays a large role in its spread today? You have probably surmised by now that I loathe these blanket statements that paint an entire entity or group of people with the actions of a few. Most educated people call it bigotry, racism, hate or intolerance. I especially loathe when someone does it without any supporting evidence. Care to dance?

14. EricGo

EricGo New Member

"But to paint with a broad stroke the entire actions and history of an institution because of the actions of a few" ...

My emphasis. Your unbelievable ignorance.
    Care to pay me a penny for every murder the church has commited, funded, or supported ?

Read up a bit on the Jesuits and Conquistadores. It is a good as place as any to start, and only a couple of hundred years old, just in case you buy into the fanciful notion that the modern church is substantially different than the medieval one.

BTW, what specific church have you found ? I personally have great respect for the Franciscan order, but then again it is not by chance that they came within a hair's breadth of getting burned at the stake to the last man by the vatican.

15. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a Christian. I would never be afraid to admit it.... As i read through this post.. i chuckle. I skipped to the bottom and i now offer this question: What is the amount the christian church gives? Now.. a group of christian people isn't the church. I haven't seen any church givie money away.

Now. take into account that (i believe it was set a while back now...) the "christian" (i " " because of lack of meaning) church is the largest... or christians is the largest religion. So.... i ask myself and you guys. What is the percentage given... er.. i guess i'm asking for the ratio? 1 person can give 1,000 dollars or 1,000 people can give 1 dollar. Who's more generious. Do the numbers.. if there are any...

you also have to take in account, living. what is the average income for a christian. etc.. etc... then it moves to mapping. in the u.s... blah blah blah.. most giving.. so on... then brake it down by race.

it's like arguing what produces the most oxygen.... really.. who cares... there is no viable way of breaking downt he numbers. Even if you did, they are never constant.

Oh yeah.. look at the rules too.. chrsitians are asked to give... it's either 10 or 15 percent of their earning.. not profits.. i've seen people fall into debt trying to do this (in my mind stupid)... so it's free money.. sure, it's for the church.. but it goes to a man.. who spends it.. runs the church.. pays himself.. so on. If you were asked to give 10 percent of your earning every sunday when you went to class.. . we would have some nice giving school systems too...

So.. i summerize my opinion. it's a dumb question.

16. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 6 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]250861[/snapback]</div>
    Blaspheming the Holy Ghost. That is kind of why I don't think people can "fake" being saved. God will NOT be mocked!

17. Subversive

Subversive New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ May 7 2006, 12:00 AM) [snapback]250965[/snapback]</div>
    What, lightening bolts from the sky? :lol:

18. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ May 7 2006, 12:00 AM) [snapback]250965[/snapback]</div>
    Feelings get hurt ?

19. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ May 6 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]250941[/snapback]</div>
    HEH, the kettle calling the pot black. :lol:

BTW where do you get your figures for this statement ???

Wildkow

20. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subversive @ May 7 2006, 12:29 AM) [snapback]250980[/snapback]</div>
    No, it is just impossible to do. Alas, I don't think you understood my point.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ May 7 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]251086[/snapback]</div>
    Neither did you.

My point....a reasonable person might say "Hey, what can it hurt..I will say i am saved and then...if these Christians are right...I'll be OK" I say...a person can't fake it....God will not allow it.

Care to prove me wrong? Come to my church (I'll need to see it) and confess before the congregation and ask for Christ to be your personal saviour. C'mon, you can do it!