1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Challenge: Name an institution that has donated more humantarian aid for the sick and poor than the

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, May 2, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 2 2006, 02:34 AM) [snapback]248438[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I couldn't agee more...

I don't think this much Christian bashing goes on within the Anton Levy boards!

Of course, it would be interesting to see the level of tolerance if "Christian" were replaced with "Jewish"...

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans Ms">STOP IT! Don't be mean. </span> :angry:

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ May 3 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]249114[/snapback]</div>
    Well i still think your not entirely correct here but did you know that it was science that. . .

Made all the weapons that killed all the people in every war ever fought. 300-600+ Million people?

Scientist made the atomic bomb only weapon capable of destroying the earth.

Thalidomide affected as many babies as did all of the Inquisition and killed half as many.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalidomide
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_toll
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Inquisition

BERGMAN in his book "Darwinism and the Nazi race Holocaust" says: An assessment by Youngson concluded that the application of Darwinism to society, called eugenics, produced one of the most tragic scientific blunders of all time: "The culmination of this darker side of eugenics was, of course, Adolf Hitler's attempt to produce a 'master race' by encouraging mating between pure 'Aryans' and by the murder of six million people whom he claimed to have inferior genes. It is hardly fair to Galton to blame him for the Holocaust or even for his failure to anticipate the consequences of his advocacy of the matter. But he was certainly the principal architect of eugenics, and Hitler was certainly obsessed with the idea. So, in terms of its consequences, this must qualify as one of the greatest scientific blunders of all time."

The list goes on and on. Just thought you might like to know. :(

Wildkow

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 8 2006, 06:57 AM) [snapback]251376[/snapback]</div>
    So, you get to point out bad against any possible good, but when others reverse it on you, it gets what, ignored?

Face it: "Thou Shalt Not Kill" goes out the window when there's a possibility of Religious Leaders money or power being cut off, and nothing you can say makes that go away...

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 8 2006, 06:57 AM) [snapback]251376[/snapback]</div>
    just one more instance of complete idiots (who aren't scientists btw and therefore should not represent such) taking real science into their own hands, manipulating it, and using it for their own agenda... sound familiar? like the multiple misquotes or selective comprehensions you have posted on the many threads that are now essentially debating science vs religion?

just because science is putting ideas out there does not mean that livestock genetics should be applied to humans. what the world does with information we provide is really out of our hands, despite our best efforts to put our findings in context. free will as you like to call it. we can't suppress all the insanity out there you know.

however, your leaps in logic are an indication you are getting really desperate to portray science as "bad" and "evil" so why not renounce it yourself? no medications, no hospital visits, no cars, no electricity... sounds like a real fun time.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 8 2006, 12:49 AM) [snapback]251317[/snapback]</div>

I find your question revolting - if I am understading it in the vein it was proposed - if not I am sorry for the following:

Jewish and tolerant don't usually mix well - at least from my perspective:
    Roman's, Catholic's (the Pope did a lot for us during WWII), Spainards, German's, french (vichy +others), Arabs - all seem to be very tolerant of Jews?? Please, we are one of the (I am not a spokesman for all Jew's) world's smallest minorities and we occupy over 50% of all UN resolutions (all of them not tolerant of our right to exist or defend ourselves). So, no the world is not more tolerant of us - that being said I do believe there has been Christian bashing that I find intolerable.

I would prefer that the world left it at intolerance and stopped there. We would be fine then. I guess then we might have a chance to increase our population to the billion or so level that the other monothiastic religions enjoy and we would not feel so threatened by the worlds "tolerance" of us.

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 8 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]251430[/snapback]</div>
    ...and it's meant to be. First off, let me start by saying I am not the least bit racist towards anyone, or intolerant towards anything really. I do, however, like making, check that, LOVE making, very unpopular, but real points. One of which, happens to be how almost any negative comments made towards the Jewish contingency gets you effectively labeled as a card-carrying nazi, a willing participant in events that took place long ago...

...and maybe such is the way it should be. I suppose there's good reason for being hypersensitive when various factions have worked towards your utter and total destruction over time, so I suppose it's warranted paranoia to some degree.

...of course, this begs the question, "why?". Why are sooooo many, throughout all of history, intolerant of the Jewish contingency? What could possibly illicit such hatred towards one group of people? Exclusion. I've always said religions fill the need for various required human emotions, a sense of belonging I think is the primary (which is also why, unlike many, I don't blame all of the world's ails on religion, but rather the reasons for which make religion necessary to some degree) whole different topic)). Unfortunately, unlike most other religions, Judaism is very, well, "exclusionary". No one wants to be an outcast, or even called a "gentile", which, IMO, is just as much of a racist word as "nigger", "spic", or even "jew".

I don't think ANY religion should have a vast majority in anything. Let's assume, for a moment, the Jewish population was a billion. Can you just imagine the "exclusion" factor then? Again, doesn't have to be Jewish, ANY religion that excludes or seeks converts by the sword, so to speak...

7. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Max Smart @ May 4 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]249995[/snapback]</div>
    That's pretty good. Wildkow does have some valid points (definite Christian-bashing going on here, or is it fundamentalist right-wing-bashing?) but he continuously undermines it with petty comments and that's what gets under my skin. Jesus said "Forgive them for they know not what they do." He didn't say "let their legs grow together". So some of my comments have been admittedly directed at denying Wildkow satisfaction on this thread, not so much against the Christian community itself, which I guess is a bit petty itself. I'd be better to stick to more technical issues. It is an interesting thread, though, hard not to get sucked into it.

nerfer

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ May 8 2006, 06:08 AM) [snapback]251393[/snapback]</div>
    Not exactly sure what your saying but it sounds suspiciously like the same thing I have been trying to say all along. Your tolerance suits you keep walking towards the light. :D

Wildkow

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 8 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]251507[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I hope it isn't.

You want to ignore all bad things done by "the Christian church" in favor of any good they might also have accomplished.

I want to point out that a scam to frighten people into showing up each week carrying money needs an occasional good act to be a cover for the bad things.

"Bashing" is usually used to describe an attck on something one likes. It has nothing to do with the validity of the attacks. As I pointed out, "Thou Shalt Not Kill" is ignored when there's a chance "The Christian churh" would lose its power or money supply. All GOOD Christians, turning the other cheek and all, should be long dead after not killing. Instead, we have what we have.

Any institution that talks a good game but plays it another way can't cover it up by donating stuff and hoping the death and destruction go unnoticed. "Blind faith" doesn't even BEGIN to describe a person willing to support an institution like that.

Of course, shrugging off all "bashing" makes one look good to the scammers, so carry on...

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ May 8 2006, 09:03 AM) [snapback]251477[/snapback]</div>
    Con'on nefer!

Geeeez, it's a bit of humor do I need to increase my charitable giving to buy you a sense of humor also? :p

Wildkow

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ May 8 2006, 10:10 AM) [snapback]251536[/snapback]</div>

http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&showtopi...ndpost&p=248897

http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&showtopi...ndpost&p=249597

Are you completely unaware of these posts in this topic or are you deliberately misrepresenting my position to bolster your ad hominine attack?

12. Randy

Randy Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ May 8 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]251536[/snapback]</div>
    I am lost of what you are trying to say. The above statement makes no sense without examples of what you are saying.

13. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 8 2006, 01:56 PM) [snapback]251570[/snapback]</div>
    Ad hominem was earned when you put blinders on. Doltishness deserves commentary.

Now, sure, you've dazzled yourself with the brilliance of your 'argument', and some have commended you which may make you feel strong in your position.

However, you refuse to accept that the counter-proposal of "Evil acts do not get bought off by good works" applies, maybe due to some Supreme Good you attach to the IDEA of "the Christian church". If I place a value of even just $1,000,000 on each human harmed or killed in God's name, I believe it's enough to at least cover your figures. I bet you'd discount the $1,000,000, rather than increase the value. It helps your position.

In reality, "the Christian church" (and to be fair, all others) is run by petty humans who bend any Biblical (Koranical, etc) do-no-harm rule to force compliance with THEIR will. They need a big stick, so they claim God wants this and God wants that, and God and/or God's Special Helpers will stike you down if you don't satisfy God. Well, God doesn't need Helpers if God has power as specified. Helpers need God to frighten the masses into cooperation. Hurricane zone? "God smashing the sinners" we're told. Tornado? Must have been sin involved. Volcano erupting? God wants virgi... umm sinners thrown i... umm punished. Amazing how island witchdoctors and Fundamentalist Baptist Ministers work alike.

So lay on about generosity, but continue to ignore Northern Ireland (two "Christian churches") and other past and present bad acts being done under the cover-up of some donations, but if you continue to ignore or discount the bad stuff you remain a dolt, ad hominem or not...

14. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ May 8 2006, 12:55 PM) [snapback]251650[/snapback]</div>
    1) My proposal (challenge) in this topic was in answer to statements, like yours that group all Christians into a hateful mob. Without regard to the ones that do not condone these actions and instead give of themselves their time and money for the benefit of others.

I have no blinders, that’s what prevents me from labeling or publishing intolerant statements about a group of people as you do. Considering the fact that these actions, of a few, were a century or more ago. Your comments in this post are some of the most intolerant I have ever read. You really can’t mean “ALL†can you? Do you also vilify the German people or the Japanese as you do the Christians? If not why not, they indirectly or directly caused the death of far more people during WWII. Are you Caucasian do you vilify all whites for enslaving the blacks, killing the Indians, and taking their land. If not your living by a double standard.

2) Furthermore I have no idea what counter-proposal you are speaking of all that I have read from you is accusations. If you want to make a counter-proposal to my challenge then make it! But please do it in another topic as it considered rude to hijack someone else’s topic/thread!

3) From this sentence on I have no idea what you’re talking about

Therefore, please calm your moral outrage over Christian’s being the largest benefactors in humanitarian aid and make some sense.

4) I do not discount or ignore the bad stuff as you put it. There are many posts on this board to prove it. So now that you have accused me of this twice I challenge you to supply evidence of this or retract your statement. I will consider a lack of answer with supporting facts a fitting reason to mentally **PLONK** any further communications from you.

Wildkow

p.s. OMG! I love **PLONKING** :lol:

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 8 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]251724[/snapback]</div>
    Where are the supporting facts of your hypothesis?

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  17. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

There are many governments who have given humanitarian aid with no strings attached

18. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darwin100 @ May 8 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]251846[/snapback]</div>
    Quite correct but do I dare say that I think that a summation of all Christian/Religious institutions would rival even the USA's aid program. Also I think the USA would have to be at the top of the list and it is largely a Christian nation. Finally, I wasn't going to count governments but I think I maybe safe in saying that except for the USA my challenge would still stand. So far no one has even come close to the Salvation Army's 2.55 billion for fiscal year 2005. This topic isn't going to prove much except put it in the faces of all those Christian Bashing posters that paint all Christian's with a broad stroke of racism, bigotry and intolerance. If you review some of the post's you'll see that those who condemn the Christians for their intolerance have posted some of the most intolerant statements.

Wildkow

p.s. Do atheist organizations donate anything?

19. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 8 2006, 05:30 PM) [snapback]251724[/snapback]</div>
    The challenge has been refuted: overwhelming collossal evil by an institution will not be bought off with donations, yet you continue to act as if it will. And that your actions insulate you from any of the evil. Just one of the crowd, doing what you are told.

Sad...
    Umm, your "answer" contains an awful lot of intolerance, but what does one call it when someone's vision of his position is clouded? Oh, yea, 'blinders'...
    Wow. Way to duck responsibility there, guy. I don't see slaver-owners posting threads here demanding good-deed credit for the little good done during slavery, but they're all dead. You came along, tried to buy off eternal damnation by referencing good works, and can't face it when someone human tells you the good can't buy off the bad. Hopefully you'll catch on when a Higer Power tells you in person...
    Perfect placement, actually. Trillions of dollars in dead/injured over the last 2,000 years, and you tried to wash it away. Martin Luther called that "buying indulgences". Seems like he disliked the idea...
    Why don't you catch on: no amount of humanitarian aid washes away the sin of power-hungry Religious Leaders using God to send others off to kill to maintain the Leader's authority? Is that too hard for you to understand, or do you just deny that it happens? You seem to completely sidestep the Thou-shalt-not-kill-turn-the-other-cheek hypocrisy when Christin solders march off to war all the time to kill. Blinders again, I guess...
    Ah, so when you lose, you mentally erase the loss and replace it with a victory.

Like I say, death and destruction in the trillions, and you have HOW MUCH in donations?...
    Sheesh...

20. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 9 2006, 04:25 AM) [snapback]252043[/snapback]</div>
    That is a disingenuous question, as atheist organizations exist for the purpose of the promotion of atheism. Change the question to secular organizations, and there are numerous examples; Oxfam, Doctors Without Borders, and in fact most mainstream charities are secular