1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Change door lock setting to open all doors

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by krausternet, Jun 24, 2016.

1. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius 2013. When I walk up to the driver's door with the key fob in my pocket the door automatically unlocks. (My previous car was a 1996 Chevy Astro so I find this feature, along with not having to stick the key in the ignition, so excellent.) Anyway, I then have to open reach down to the door and hit the door unlock button so that my significant other can get in the car.

Is there a way to change the setting for how the doors unlock so that all doors unlock when the fob signals the driver's door to unlock?

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Stand outside next to your car and hit the lock and unlock buttons on your fob. Hold for 5 seconds (or until your car talks to you).

348 likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it's actually pressing the lock and alarm buttons together for a few seconds, until your car beeps.

Try both, one method works for sure

T.S. Elliot and bmwbob89 like this.
  4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. Instructions to do that are in the owner's manual. That method worked for me (unlike their instructions to stop the infernal automatic locking and unlocking when shifting into or out of PARK).

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait a second.
    I need clarification as to what is happening here.
    You're saying when you walk up to your completely locked Prius, when you get near the vehicle your drivers door automatically unlocks....before you even touch it?
    Because as far as I know, if that's the case, it shouldn't be doing that, and isn't designed to do that. It should only be unlocking when you approach, and actually touch the door handle/sensor with your hand. You'll hear a beep and it will nearly simultaneously, instantly unlock and open.
    You can program the vehicle to either ONLY unlock the drivers door, OR also unlock all the doors upon TOUCH of the handle, but it shouldn't be a situation where the drivers door is unlocking without you touching it, and then facilitating another touch to unlock the passenger side.

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I strongly agree with the last statement

7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a security feature.

My FORD works like yours does - because I changed it to do so (though I have to press the unlock button - old technology). Where I used to work was a relatively unsavoury location, and for security reasons I elected for it to only unlock the driver's door so nobody else can jump into one of the other doors as I unlock it - an unlikely situation, but I was in a highly sensitive workplace, so anything was possible. I have to double press the unlock button to unlock all doors on the unlikely occasion when I have a passenger.

348 likes this.
  8. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What he said! ......(y)

9. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    People are assuming it unlocks BEFORE you touch the door handle? Are you saying that's the case? I suspect you're not, but if you are, how do you know? It unlocks when you touch the door handle and that can be set to open all doors, mine is.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Its REAL simple if it's simply a case of wanting to program the unlock to be for all doors.
    Even though I did mine so long ago I've forgotten how.
    It's can be done, and it's not very hard.

11. Eray

Eray New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Easy. Foot OFF brake, press power button to turn car on Accessory mode. On key, hold lock and unlock for 5 seconds. Based on your model, you have two or more modea, as far as which door handles will unlock and which doors will be unlocked. It's in the manual, either On the 40s or the 60s pages if I remember right.