1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Change in start-up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jester_Martin, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Jester_Martin

Jester_Martin New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello all

Just got a weird thing happen to my Prius, I wonder if anybody has any tips or input on causes:

When starting my '09 Prius in the past, I'd power up, "ready", pop in drive and pull away in EV mode.
    ICE would kick in within 15-20 sec and stay on or shut off after a while depending on my driving needs/conditions.
    That's all good.

But a couple days ago, I noticed ICE kicks in as soon as the car is "ready", no more pause.

My main battery is good, fuel economy is also same.

So qestion us, what happened?
    Did I somehow change some parameter or setting, press something that caused it??
    Temperature hasn't changed, as it's in an underground overnight, I'm at a loss.

Any help would be most appreciated.

#1 Jester_Martin, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i dont think you can cause that. it is usually outside temp regulated.

make sure the front defroster is off, temp is set to 'low' and fan is off. just guessing.

what number of bars is the battery showing when you start?

SFO and dig4dirt like this.
  3. Jester_Martin

Jester_Martin New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the reply

You just solved the problem.
    I left the defrost on, and that's what caused the ICE to kick in right away.

bisco and dig4dirt like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y)

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it's even slightly cool out the engine should always kick in immediately to warm the cats. Low emissions is the cars #1 mission.

And as the car gets older and the hybrid battery is not as powerful as it was the engine will always start up immediately to charge the battery because the battery will decay as it sits as it gets older or hasn't been driven in a while. As the car gets older this is the way the car acts. You can monitor this charge behavior on the mfd consumption screen.

Be aware you are right in the cars time where the hybrid battery will start to quickly decline but is still healthy enough to respond to rejuvenation.

Lots of us us use a hybrid battery re-conditioner system called PROLONG to greatly extend that battery's life. It works great I am on my second year of rejuvenation of my hybrid battery. It really responds well if the battery is still healthy just old.
    Failed hybrid battery on a G2 is the #1 post here.

use search forums tab up top and search

PROLONG

and there web site is hybridautomotive.com