1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

change the display to show fuel cost instead of savings when turning off car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Page, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Page

Page Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2013 Prius and when I turn off the car it always shows me the following on the display:

Time:
    Distance:
    Consump.: ___MPG
    Fuel Cost:

But I was playing with the setting and must have changed something I didn't mean to because now it shows me:

Time:
    Distance:
    Consump.: ___MPG
    Savings:

Notice that where the Fuel Cost was it now shows Saving. (savings in the cost of fuel compared to a random mpg).

Now how do I switch this back to display Cost instead of Savings?

I attached a picture of what it looked liked before i made the change.

Attached Files:

2. Wayward

Wayward Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Change the mile per gallon from you previous vehicle back to 0 then it will do the cost again rather than savings.
    I accidently did the same thing and changed it back after like 3 days, I like knowing the cost better.

3. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, in the past year it has been great to see how much I saved over my old Subaru Baja. But will make the change in the morning to reflect a more real number I can relate to.

4. Page

Page Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I tried changing it back to zero but it doesn't go to zero, it only lets me go as low as 0.1. I was trying to do it by pressing the display/trip buttons, is that the wrong way? How did you get yours to go to zero?

5. Wayward

Wayward Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think you are changing the cost of fuel, not in the fuel savings menu.
    Sorry I just got to work, I will verify which sub-menu you have to be in after I get off work for you and post it tonight if you haven't figured it out and posted again by then.
    But it's the fuel savings menu you need to change not fuel price.

6. Page

Page Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I double checked to make sure I was changing the right setting. I was trying to change the comp. consumption down to 0. The only other setting to change are gasoline price and fuel consu. display. So after setting the comp. consumption to as close to 0 as it goes and it not working I tried changing the fuel consu. display setting, but the different settings in there didnt change anything that I saw. still the same. I must be doing something wrong.

7. Wayward

Wayward Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did check this morning and it is the comp.consumption that I have set down to $0.00 if you cannot get it down to $0.00 either something is wrong but this is in fact the setting you need to zero out.
    Gas price is just for Total Cost and monthly tracking... you have me stumped, but my 2 settings are set to comp.consumption = 0.00 and gasoline price = 3.39

8. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
  9. Page

Page Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got it fixed this weekend. I took it to the dealership and told them what I was trying to do. They were trying everything, but nothing was working. They read the manual and it had nothing on how to change this, at least that was working for my car. They were truly puzzled. They ended up disconnecting the battery and it set it back to fuel cost instead of savings. Never did solve why it won't go to zero, like what worked for everyone else. I'm just glad the battery thing worked.

csp1971 likes this.
  10. OG1

OG1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Go into the bar graph display that shows fuel cost and hit the trip button to change it to savings or vice versa. I pulled my hair out with this and the manual is not even very clear. Whatever this graph is showing is what will show at shutdown.

plez815, ocb246, FuelMiser and 3 others like this.
  11. Page

Page Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, I agree they need to add this to the manual

12. Genome Tuning

Genome Tuning New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is this on the 2010 as well? I just picked up a used 2010, I don't think I've ever seen this screen.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No. I believe this was a new feature added on 2012+ Priuses.

14. vallesj

vallesj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the same problem on my 2013 III. Could not change comp settings to 0, so I will have to do the battery trick

15. pch324

pch324 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi- I am having the same issue, is there anything else other than battery trick

16. abudraih

abudraih Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I
    I have the same problem with my 2013 prius, but I am super new, how to do the battery trick and can I do it by myself ?

17. vallesj

vallesj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    open your trunk, take out the carpet and take out the panels on the right, near to the rear light area. there you will see a small car battery. just disconnect the black cable (-), wait 5 seconds an connect it again. that will be enough to reset the settings

Nexus 7 ?

abudraih likes this.
  18. abudraih

abudraih Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The only thing reset is the date and time, the fuel price and cons still the same and the lowest value for cons. is 0.1 MPG :-(

any other thoughts ?

19. Page

Page Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    try unplugging both cables on the battery (make sure the car is off), or trying doing it for longer time, if that doesn't work then take it to the dealership just explain your problem and they should be able to fix it w/o a fee. They didn't even look-up my information when I asked them for help, then just walked right out to my car and started playing with it to fix it, they were very nice. It was their tech guy that helped.

abudraih likes this.
  20. abudraih

abudraih Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thank you for the advise, but the problem is, i bought my car from USA as second hand, I live in Jordan and usually our dealer her don't help us with cars from outside, so you have do the minor things by your self, i will try unplug both battery cables and report back :)