1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

change trans axle fluid 05 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jtuchol, Jun 5, 2013.

1. jtuchol

jtuchol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I recentily bought a 05 prius with 153k on the speedo I asked the dealer about if fluid should be changed out, they said they have never done one, what should I do and if I do it how?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    At 153k I would definitely get the transaxle fluid changed. Do you have another dealer close by that you could call and ask? Their initial comment is probably going to be that Toyota does not recommend this but if you push they should be able to give you a price for doing this. Most on here have been quoted somewhere around $100 for this service.

It is a drain and fill for your transaxle and really very simple. If they quote you a flush or talk about controlling temperatures with Techstream they do not know what they are talking about. Find another dealer.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At 153K your due for

Trans fluid
    Inverter Coolant change
    Engine Coolant change

All have been discussed here thousands of times so search as you can do it yourself pretty easily.
    Lots of threads about about how to do it.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  4. jtuchol

jtuchol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ok one other thing I noticed about this car was another cv axle in the trunk looks like some one ran this off of the road and in a ditch or something the under side is full of mud and twigs not sure if fluid was lost or replaced or what ever