1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Change your own oil!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hammy, Jul 20, 2008.

1. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It actually is. They make synthetic oil out of petroleum derived chemicals, and they get the petroleum to make those chemicals on the open market (read: Middle East).

2. sean

sean New Member

does anyone use those quick lube or oil can henry's to change oil? I hate going to the Toyota dealer.

3. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Brad,

Actually it is one bolt and one filter. A screw and a bolt are two different things.

4. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    John's oil change guide is well done, but is missing one important thing: torque wrench for the oil drain plug and proper setting. (I haven't found the setting in my manual but they typically run about 25 ft-lbs in my other vehicles' drain plugs. I'll need to find the actual value.)

5. beach247

beach247 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    28 ft.-lb. However, I've noticed when removing the oil drain plug (after 5K miles have elapsed) that not much effort is required to unbolt the plug (apparently less than 28 ft.-lb). I assume this is because the fiber gasket has collapsed a bit while in service.

7. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I never used a torque wrench to tighten an oil drain plug. Simply tighten snugly and that's it. (never use a lot of muscle)

8. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The problem is that there is a lot of variation in what "tighten snugly" means. For some it means stripping the threads apparently. For others it is not much more than hand tight. Using the torque setting you can be certain you are getting compression of the gasket without making it too hard to remove or stripping the threads. It's a pain when somebody strips the threads, because it leaks oil until you put a new plug in on the next oil change.