1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changed 12v battery, found water in battery compartment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JC91006, Mar 3, 2014.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just changed out my 12v battery in my 2008 Prius, where to my surprise I found water in the battery compartment. There have been heavy rains this past weekend but it should not have entered the car. I've read many threads with others experiencing this problem but didn't really read a solution.

Anybody know of a solution? Can I drill drain holes in the battery/spare tire compartments to drain water? If I didn't discover this water today, it would sit in the car and really start to get moldy and stink. This could be a big problem!!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the solution is a body shop to repair the body seam where the water is coming in. not sure letting water continue to enter and draining it out is a good long term solution.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I don't even know if it's a body seam that's causing the water entering. I have to look again in better lighting tomorrow. Some have mentioned gaskets, some silicone type seal, so many different things. But with so many threads to talk about this problem, it's strange there isn't a common problem.

There has been people that say the seam is cracked....which I think is dangerous. This could cause a short in the battery while the car is being driven with water collecting inside. Serious safety issue if the car gets shorted and just stops while you're driving 100mph on the highway.....

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought it was more on the '07's, our '08 has been fine. maybe it is the hatch gasket. you probably have to get in there while someone hits it hard with a hose.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I will have to look for these cracks, seems crazy to have such a defect. I would think this should be a safety recall of some kind, water and electric components don't mix well....especially with a brake controller in the back too.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry, I think you misunderstood what I meant. When people have water entering the rear hatch it is common for this to be the entry point. I didn't mean to imply that it is a common problem, actually it seems to happen quite rarely. :)

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I'm not really sure it's really that rare. it's not common for people to look all the way back there to look for water. Just the ones that have changed their batteries after a car wash or rain (my case, rain). Any other time, the water would have evaporated and disappeared. One thread did mention a good check for this is if there is rust in the spare tire. There shouldn't be any rust there unless the spare tire has been used in wet conditions.

I remember on the 2005 I worked on, the hatched looked like it had water damage by the spare tire. I couldn't understand why until I read these threads. In my case, that's already 2 out of 3. I will look at my 2006 tomorrow to see if there is an evidence of water there. If there is signs of water damage, that will be 3 for 3.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just checked my 06, dry as a whistle. This 06 is the roughest of the 3 Gen2 cars here. The nicest cleanest 08 is the one that leaks the most water.....very strange.

10. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I found the same thing in my '07 when I changed my 12V last month. Only thing was that it was in single digit temps so I had about an inch of ice in the well. :mad: I was able to chip and remove most of it and I later used a rag to soak up most of the rest when it warmed up. Haven't checked it since.

I do have evidence of water in the tire well too so I'll be following this and reading other threads on the source. No wet carpets or anything like that, so a leaky hatch seems unlikely.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check under the gutters on the roof of the car. There is a crack that forms on the steel body that water leaks through. It is at the end where the gutter meets the hatch. found it today with a little help from members here and I have to seal cracks to resolve this problem

SM-N900P ?

Merkey likes this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Uart, I looked at some other thread just posted the other day, mentioned the same gutter area. You pointed me in the right direction, I'm pretty sure that's the entry point of the water. Thanks