1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changed eng due to blown head gasket, now I keep getting check engine light.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Darren Allred, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Darren Allred

Darren Allred New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This past April I had my head gasket blow on my 2013 prius gen 3. They put in new engine and said I'd probably need new Cat which was $1800. I had some eng codes come on and changed the MAF, MAP sensors, both O2 sensors, spark plugs & now my catalytic converter. I still can't get rid of 2 of the codes, P0172 & P219A codes. It runs rough if I hold gas to stay just above the ECO mark on my dash. The exhaust smells strong but not like sulfar but more rich. What else can I change that I haven't already? Should I try the injectors?

2. AmazingFacts

AmazingFacts Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I recently cleaned the intake manifold on my 2013 and forgot to put back on the small rubber orange o-ring between the EGR pipe & intake manifold, and I got a CEL for MAF sensor, etc. The car idled very rough and got a MAF CEL code. Issue was fixed after putting back in the o-ring. You may want to check the o-ring and listen for air leak hissing while engine is running.

#2 AmazingFacts, Nov 4, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    SFO likes this.
  3. Darren Allred

Darren Allred New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have changed the large gasket and the small Oring is there and didn't see anything wrong with it. I usually get the 219a code after driving about 30 miles. At speed it gets rough when I back off the gas