1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changed front driver side HUB Assy. Now the front end CLUNKS.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Integraoligist, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Integraoligist

Integraoligist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Changed front driver side HUB Assy. Now the front end CLUNKS.
    Everything was torqued to spec and nice and tight.... i look at it all and all seems fine. However when I was removing the HUB from the Axle, the Axle arm pulled towards me.... so I tried pushing it back in but it did not want to go. I turn the axle by hand left/right and it found it's spot and slid back into place. Is that normal? Or is that the issue?

I did not change the drivers side HUB because there was no grinding or anything coming from that area. And I can't tell where the clunking is coming from but it's not the HUB.

The clunking happens when I turn left/right at very low speed... or if I brake at low speed and the car rocks back and forth a bit... or if i go over a decent bump.

Ideas?
    Thanks all!

2. Integraoligist

Integraoligist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    determined it is coming from the passenger side when the car rocks

3. grhybrid

grhybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would question whether the axle nut is tight enough. Also, the outer tie-rod may not have seated correctly in the spindle. Your post is a little confusing, did you replace just the bearing or the hub/ bearing assembly? The complete assemblies are definitely the way to go. Pressing the hub into an old bearing is tedious and with a bit of risk if it's cocked at all during assembly.

4. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same problem the axle nut wassent tight enough.