1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changed HV battery in 2001 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Pgoodyear, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Pgoodyear

Pgoodyear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I changed the battery on my son's 2001 prius. It had been changed 3 years prior with a rebuilt battery, the vent hose out of the cab was not installed. I obtained a rebuilt assembly from a shop in the LA area. the change out took about 3 hours total. I pulled the old battery, tested the cells, had 3 cells that would not hold a charge, and all of the straps were heavily corroded. I felt the best option was replacement with a 1.5 gen rebuilt. I think the cost was around $800 + 8 hours of driving an d $60 in fuel. No one close had a gen 1 battery. As I understand it the later gen battery (complete) will not bolt into the gen 1 compartment, as it was the new battery was slightly larger than the old battery, about 1/2 in. in each direction.

2. John Oliver

John Oliver New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    and so what did you do? did you figure out a way to bolt it in there anyway? i may be doing this same job sometime into the future.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not clear what you mean by "later gen battery"?
    Do you mean the Gen 2 modules? Yes the modules are slightly longer.
    Or do you mean the length of the entire case of the pack is longer?

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you used Gen 1.5 modules (gen 1 modules manufactured after 2003 or 2010? idk..) and the battery wasn't exactly identical in size, then something is wrong. If Gen 2 modules were used, then as mentioned before those modules are slightly longer than Gen 1s, but the mounting holes still line up on the bottom, and the thickness is identical, so the actual 38 module packs should fit in the case normally, lengthwise, but there should be slightly less clearance on the sides between the terminal covers and the sides of the steel cover.

5. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats and welcome to Chat. My understanding of the 1.5 modules is that they are just improved but not a different size from the 1.0. And they are going to be newer than the originals. My 02 has a new battery, circa 2013, but I'm not going out and take it apart to check it.

Sounds like you did really well on the cost. I guess I would get the Prolong kit to periodically maintain the battery. And don't let the car sit--not using the battery is the way to lose it.

Where did you get the replacement battery?

6. Krisstroll

Krisstroll New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry if i am in the wrong discussion

hello everybody , I m new on the forum, back in Europe (France) , and not much of people who knows something about working on a prius here, i am trying to solve a pbm :

prius 2 ; august 2006 ; 192000 KM , used when bought , Tranny maintenance ? 12 V battery fully charged every time i try to start but used

i had a HT battery failure, bill from toyota that i refused (2500 €), i change my self the 2 faulty elements (thanks you tube) and put back everything : 212 V on testing

when i brought my prius 2 back home the thermic was working D & R but of course electric was not working.

since then , and I checked and rechecked everything, the orange big security plug position (as mentioned by several personns) all the 3 connectors to the ECU, the connector to the Fan , even the polarity of the HT connectors ....

same old song : THE READY MODE DOESN T COME ON, NO D OR R POSITION POSSIBILITY, THE THERMIC DOESN T FIRE UP , I noticed that i don't hear the Clac Clac of relays ans that the 12 V battery is drained after 1 day if stays connected. NO error CODE on ODB device

i desinstalled one of the 2 main relay to try to test it, but i am stucked

any ideas ? any suggestions, HEEEEEELP PLEAAASSSE

thanks