1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changed My Cabin Air Filter, But Can't Notice A Fresher Smell...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AJMasterson, Jun 9, 2007.

1. AJMasterson

AJMasterson New Member

I live right next to Exxon here in Texas and lately it just smells like sewage all the time. I went from having an old funky cabin air filter (no telling if/when the previous owner ever replaced it) that smelled like mold and mildew to finally having a new filter only to have the excitement fade right as I pulled out of my neighborhood and had the fresh filter smell replaced by what smelled like the whole gigantic refinery pulled down its pants, stuck its nice person cheeks to my A/C intake and let out one hell of SBD. Does anyone else live in an area where it smells all the time?

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There is an activated charcoal substitute filter, but I don't recall where to get them. Canada, maybe?

If your ductwork has gotten moldy inside, there are sprays that can be used in there. A good A/C shop will know.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No help for the outside air. MOVE AWAY!

You can get charcoal-impregnated foam pre-filter material from a home supply store and cut it to the same size as the cabin filter and just put it on top. Honeywell makes one brand used with room air filters that you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes. Always keep the AC in recirc mode and it may smell a bit better inside your Prius. Maybe a room air filter could be used inside your house.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jun 9 2007, 02:03 PM) [snapback]458816[/snapback]</div>
    Good advice! There is a reason why statistically speaking, more people tend to be sicker living near plants and usually have similar illnesses.