1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changed oil 5k miles oil, very clean mobil1

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Dec 22, 2011.

1. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Having a 7yr/70k warranty, and driving less than 10k a year, if say at 65k I need major engine work, at least I will not have violated the contract, 5k Oil change policy!
    Odds are, this won't happen , but 3 1/2 Qts. every 5k is fine with me!
    If Toyota revises Gen II to 10K intervals, with no warranty ding, that would be better!

2. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have used mobil 1 full synthetic oil in every vehicle since the late 70's and never had a problem. A family friend who is a retired mechanic replaces his oil filter evey 5 thousand miles then adds one new quart of oil (mobil one) and has over 150 thousand miles on his american 8 cylinder still going strong. I change my prius oil and filter at 10 thousand as the owners manuel says in my other car when the oil sensor shows between 0 to 5 %.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same here. Running Mobil 1 since 1980 I think. Never had an engine failure
    on any car I have ever owned. Never had any trans service done on any trans either as I have been using Redline in my trans and diff's.

I use Redline D6 in my Prius.

If you have ever taken the valve covers off an engine at 125,000 miles that has spent its life on Mobil 1 oil its very impressive. No burnt oil anywhere not even under the valve covers themselves. Its a really good product.

4. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We change every 5000 miles using Mobil1 in both our Volvo (170,000 miles) and Honda Civic (110,000 miles). Both vehicles actually call for a 7500 mile interval. Why 5000? Because it is easy to remember!

Our Generation III Prius is the first car that we would ever consider extending the oil change interval to 10,000 miles. Why? Several reasons as follows:

1. Toyota recommends it. This is the least important reason.
    2. The oil appears almost new after 5000 miles.
    3. As others have pointed out, the Prius engine doesn't run all of the time.
    4. Often overlooked but very important, the Prius engine management system keeps the engine from operating under high torque conditions that are really hard on the oil.
    5. Our Prius accrues 10,000 miles every four months, therefore, there is little time for contaminants to build up in the oil. This is the most important consideration.

Everyone's circumstances are different. Look at the recommendations in your Owner's Manual for recommendations for your specific driving circumstances. Changing the oil too often will never hurt your engine, but it may unnecessarily hurt your wallet. Oil changes are the most important and least expensive maintenance item for your engine.

5. rcard0

rcard0 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :confused: And how do you do that without the oil draining out? Flip the car over?:)