1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changed oil now engine sounds like it's about to explode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rocinante1984, Apr 19, 2023.

1. Rocinante1984

Rocinante1984 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've checked the forums and can't seem to find this exact issue.

My Prius was making a weird rumbling noise only at low rpms when driving it the last week or so and also right when the ICE would kick on or off.

It had been a while since the oil change and at one point a week ago I got a low oil light (added about a quart after seeing that.)

Yesterday I parked it after it was sounding a bit weird at low RPMs and did an oil change. Now when I tried to start it, it sounds like it's about to explode so I immediately turned it off.

Codes it's throwing are P0420 which it's had for years and now P0441

Did a cursory check of tubes and connections thinking maybe there was a vacuum leak but I wasn't near anything that I can think of while changing the oil.

Coolant levels normal oil still sitting at 1 inch up dipstick after sitting all night.

2. Rocinante1984

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm afraid to turn it on because it may damage the engine. Can anyone think of something I might have knocked loose around the filter? My only other thought is bad head gasket.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There is no low oil light.

There is a low oil pressure light. Usually when you see that you have a few seconds to shut down before permanent severe damage sets in.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When there's work you've recently done, it does make good sense to think first about any way a new problem might be related to that.

But you don't have to rule out the chance that the new thing is just some other thing that has happened. To always think "there are no coincidences" means missing things when there are.

5. Rocinante1984

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welp

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've been saying that all my life, and it's certainly true about a Gen 2, but I'm going to have to be more careful in the future, because somebody posted back in March about their 2021 Prime giving a low oil warning, and sure enough that car has an oil level sensor! The part number crosses to 34 Prii and Corollæ going back to 2016.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I was delighted to discover that my 2020 Mazda has a low level indicator.

...until I caught it lying to me once.

Dipstick still works great. (y)

I don't know what mechanism my Mazda uses for its level sensor.

I have read that Porsche did very well early on with a stack of thermocouples arranged vertically on the oil pan. The system looked for a gradient between thermocouple outputs held over time and when that gradient hit their threshold it would throw a low level error.

This with no moving parts, crankcase penetrations and associated seals or anything like that. Pretty nifty.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, when I saw the picture of this one that looks like a float, I figured less of the magic is in the float itself, and more in how the ECU firmware teases a real oil level out of the bouncing and sloshing.

9. Rocinante1984

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update: there is some oil on one of the spark plugs that has made it past the plug itself, i.e. the socket has oil on it before the plug is even removed.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That often comes in above the plug through a leaky valve cover gasket into the plug well, rather than getting past the plug from inside.

11. Rocinante1984

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    & There seems to be some oil on basically all the spark plugs threads

12. Rocinante1984

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll replace the valve cover gasket and let you know if it worked.

13. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess if people pretend something exists for long enough it finally can exist...

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bet someone stole your catalytic converter... Did you look under the car yet?

15. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Actually for the spark plug o-rings that keep your spark plug wells dry you should be able to just look down that hole where you pulled the plug out your spark plug would be almost flooded like at least up to the hex that you're turning to get it out so that's going to put oil on the bottom of your spark plug wrench or socket when you pull it up and an engine with deeper wells like that I tend to wipe the socket off as I pull plug number one out then go to number two pull it out look and see if I got oil and whatnot wipe the socket off and so on and so forth. I very rarely seen the one NZ engine with failing spark plug seals or spark plug well seals. Very rarely and I've taken quite a few apart but anyway you should be able to see this with a flashlight look down that hole It should be a silvery brownish color at best if not just silver If it's getting oil regularly you'll see the blow by sticking in the walls of that circular hole that you're sticking your spark plug socket down Good luck.

16. Rocinante1984

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It did have some oil on the hex but it was after I pulled the plug out. That's what made me think valve cover. I replaced the valve cover and cleaned the plugs and it sounded a lot better before suddenly making the noise again. I turned the car off right away, then back on and revved it up and down the driveway for a bit. Was a little rumble at low RPMs. I just replaced the spark plugs and coils and now it sounds fine.

My bet is there was a bad ignition coil. Not sure what the deal with the oil on the wrench was, maybe there was a seal leak too or maybe I could have let it run a bit longer after replacing the gasket and it would have gone away. The gasket looked a little funny around the bolt holes but pretty good around the plug holes. Couldn't see any/much oil on the inside of the rings themselves.

17. Rocinante1984

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure if you're joking but it's still on there. It is in very poor condition though, it has been throwing the cat code for about 150000 miles.

On my sound scale, a missing/damaged muffler is more like "it's the end of the world" vs "the engine about to explode."

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It gets asked, because cat theft is so common for Prii, and it's funny how different people describe the sound. To me, a pipeless engine really doesn't sound like anything else but a pipeless engine, and I would know the sound the instant I turned the car on. But we get a lot of threads that start with "so I turned the car on and it makes this really loud noise it didn't make yesterday...".

19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just wanted to make sure we eliminated that one because cat theft victims have some strange and quite similar ways to describe their symptoms.

20. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like the ones who say: "Why does my car suddenly sound like a race car?"