1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changed spark plugs and now getting misfires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sas0611, Aug 25, 2017.

1. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks - I went and changed my plugs today. They had 138K on them and it was time. The procedure was uneventful and with the right sockets and extensions and torque wrenches gathered and borrowed before hand it was really quite easy. Only problem is the results. How can changing the plugs results in an increase in misfire counts. With the VCI cable and the software on my laptop, I am seeing misfires on mostly 3 of my cylinders and tonight I saw a couple on the cylinder that was seemingly working without errors. I did everything by the book. I removed the relay box and the loosened the 2 screws holding the wiring chase / channel near cylinder number 4 before starting. I did one cylinder at time. Removing the igniters, then the old plugs and installed the new plugs. I installed the denso's iridiums which I purchased from Toyota and opted not to change the gapping. I did check the factory gapping and they were all pretty much where they should be. I used a snap on inch lb torque wrench to torque the plugs at 13 ft lbs (156 in lbs) and the igniters at 82 in lbs. I set the relay box back to 74 inch lbs. I borrowed the inch lbs snap-on torque wrench and just to be sure it was accurate I torqued a body bolt to 13 ft/lbs with my craftsman 3/8 drive and then did it again with the 1/4 ft lbs snap-on to 156 in/lbs - the equivalent of 13 ft/lbs. Both wrenches clicked at the identical point on the test.

So what went wrong with my work that could now be causing more misfires ? I'm scratching my head so I'd really appreciate some guidance or speculation. Is there some other component(s) that may have also been needing replacement that are only now showing up bad because the new plugs are performing way better than the old ones (could I have 3 marginal igniters) - or did I mess something up- which is certainly in the realm of possibilities I suppose ?

Thank you in advance for your help. I just don't want to start guessing and replacing stuff. I was going to do my wife prius' plugs too but I'm holding off until I can figure this out.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You get misfire on all 4 cylinders?

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did you check to make sure all of the electric connections are properly connected?

Did you use copious amounts of dielectric grease?

SFO likes this.
  4. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This morning when I was doing my testing, it seemed like # 3 was working flawlessly and the 1,2,4 where not. But I did see #3 have a couple tonight. The software and locked up on that last run of the night but I did see it on the frozen laptop screen that 3 had a misfire. I was thinking of using the igniter from #3 to do some testing but now I need to make sure that cylinder is not having same issues as the other. I had a pretty long run this afternoon on the highway without any errors on any cylinders so not sure how any of this figures in - just putting it out there.

5. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did not use any dielectric grease on the connections. I didn't see any obvious burns or cracks on the igniters. The short length wire to #4 and the tight bend to get it to connect to the #4 igniter is the only thing that I can visually say is not ideal.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you checked the gap on iridium plugs, you may have expanded the gap. Iridium plugs come with the gap set.

Another item to confirm is all the electrical connections are snapped in and tight.

When working on @mmmodem 's PIP, one connection was slightly loose and it was misfiring:(. Believe it was cylinder #3, but something I know got John's attention.

Something easy to check(y).

mmmodem and SFO like this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you seen misfires before on techstream?

8. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was very careful to not to abrade or even touch the center electrode when checking cap . I used a .040 test wire that handily fit between the ground electrode and the center. I did this not to super accurately measure the gap but to make sure it was in the ballpark and not banged up so as to be above or below the factory preset gap. I will go over the connectors tomorrow by unplugging and replugging the connector to the igniter. I'd like to get a better visual look at the number 4 wire. It may be stressed at the bend where it needs to divert to connect to the #4 igniter connector.

9. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Look. Under the hood at night while running without light to see misfires.
    No plug wires crossed?

10. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am using the mini-Vci cable with software from the car's port to USB connection on windows laptop running Windows 7 32 Bit Operating system. The program has been crashing frequently lately.. About a month or so ago I was monitoring misfires on the old beat up set of spark plugs and i believe they were in the neighborhood of 2-4 a week (of course I wasn't connected with VCI every minute of every time I was in the car driving. I believe the problem with misfires then was pretty well isolated to #2 and #4. Now I am seeing that many on a 15 minute run. Sometimes more. Like tonight I saw 2 on #2, another 2 on #1 and 1 on #4 (total of 5) . But like I mentioned, out on the highway after a good warmup, I didn't register any over a 15 minute run.

#10 sas0611, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  11. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No plug wires were crossed. connectors 1-4 are colored Gray / Black/ gray /black.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's intermittent on all cylinders, so I would say to check your air filter and possibility clean the throttle body and MAF sensor. Maybe an air fuel delivery issue

13. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ill have a look at this too. Still odd timing that new plugs would bring on more issues

14. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    After 9 years and 138K miles, I think I'd consider a new set of plug wires.

15. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that you mention the throttle body and air fuel deliver issues, I checked to see what work was performed in 2012 on my front end by body shop after accident and the throttle body was replaced and the gasket using a "quality recycled parts" . The air filter assembly was removed and reinstalled for access (minclr). I also noticed when changing plugs that the top part of ignition coil #1 was written on with a white marker with the letters "#1". All this probably is not relevant but the throttle body is not original.

I'm thinking about fuel injectors as well. I'll going to dump a bottle of techron complete into the now almost empty fuel tank.

16. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Riiiiight ?

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No generation of Prius has ever had plug wires.

-Chap

18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Oops. :rolleyes:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In the prius fashion... At least not in the conventional sense... ie: round high voltage,
    ..... nevertheless wires do attach.

20. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Round? Yes. High voltage? Not so much. The high voltage is induced in the coil, which is snapped down onto the spark plug. If there is a leak in the high voltage, the arcing is most likely hidden down inside the spark plug well. I wouldn't rule out bad coils, but it wouldn't be the first place I'd look since it's all four cylinders.

I could see the possibility of banging the plug in the bottom of the well and accidentally changing the gap. But it sounds like you were way too careful to do that to all of them. @JC91006 is a good wrench and pretty logical for a human being. ;) Sounds like it's something common to all cylinders, so I think I'd follow his suggestion next, which it looks like you're already doing. I'll hang up and listen for your report when you're done. :)

Raytheeagle likes this.