1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changed the Trans Fluid Today, and…

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rebound, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So I did my 150,000 Transaxle fluid change today. Checking my notes, I changed it at 20,000 miles in 2013, and again at 86,000 in 2016. So here we are at 152,000 in 2021, let’s change it again, right?

It was pretty straightforward, except I can say that Harbor Freight’s pump stinks.

But the interesting part is that the oil was still very red. I think the reason why the initial fluid drains are dark are from lubricants placed on the bearings during assembly, and not the fluid “burning” or wearing out.

ETC(SS), mmmodem and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota says trans fluid is good for life of vehicle... I say it's good to change at least once because the first thousand miles of a new gear box will create a bit of material worth getting out of there.

I know we've done trans fluid analysis on here before and saw enough stuff to justify flushing a first or maybe even a second time, but you're the first I know who's done it a third time? Doesn't really seem that necessary?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Which is it?
    First you say it should be changed *at least* once. Then you say that means twice.

I think you don’t know. I think none of us know, which is why I shared my finding that the oil condition was very good after 67,000 miles.

I recall that we all agreed the right interval should be 30,000 and every 60,000 thereafter. And we realized early on that the first dump would be very dark, as was mine. It was probably from molybdenum grease used on bearings during assembly, similar to engine assembly.

Anyway, here’s my 67,000 mile interval change and the data we have from it. And I’m used to people criticizing me for doing too much maintenance on this car, for replacing all the carpet, and for having an engine that’s too clean and cabin air that’s too breathable, but at 152,000 miles, nothing has failed on the car except for a windshield fluid diverter valve, which has mysteriously failed twice.

The car is moving to a very vulnerable point where things fail. I’ll probably pull the intake and inspect and clean it in a week, and decide whether I should do more work based on those results. View attachment 213194

#3 Rebound, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    Grit likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    over maintenance, nothing wrong with that.

I just did some work on my 2010 with 135k miles. Changed the water pump, PCV valve, cleaned intake, changed the engine coolant.

At around 80-100k I changed my plugs, transaxle fluid, cleaned EGR circuit, dealer replaced EGR valve and HV battery under warranty. I believe I had to change a motor mount at around 120k miles.

Don't expect to do much more to this car. Maybe change the inverter pump and inverter coolant at 150k miles. Should be able to go to 200k miles without issues

Rebound and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you ever consider that nothing would of failed on the car if you didn't waste all that time?

To clarify, I said that PriusChat did lab analysis on trans fluid to determine how valuable changing the fluid is. As in if there's metal particles and change in fluid chemistry than it's worth changing. The data showed on transfluid that Toyota said never needs to be replaced showed value in changing it once, maybe a second time, but three times? You're just wasting your time and doing nothing to benefit your car. If you have credible fluid analysis that shows that you aren't wasting your time I'd love to see it.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If $40 and an hour out of your life helps you sleep easy, it’s worthwhile. I did a first change VERY early, and it was noticeably darker. Did a second after a more protracted interval, and was slightly darker. Did a third after even more protracted interval: resolved not to do any more, for a VERY long interval.

Paul E. Highway and Rebound like this.
  7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Same as I.

hope you’ve been well. We will head to Tacoma in a month, but I don’t think the border will be open, so a visit will need to wait just a bit longer.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    most criticizers are people who sells their before 120,000 miles so we’re dealing with people who are not taking preemptive measures to prolong a vehicle beyond 120,000. What they deem unnecessary ain’t valid, minimum is what they strive for til it’s sold early or traded in early.

#8 Grit, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Rebound and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's as good as any explanation I've heard to date!

I'm not going to add to the transaxle fluid drama except to say that I personally agree that changing the fluid out after the first 30,000 miles (or when you buy the car if it is used) is not a bad idea at all, and I would also change the fluid out every 60,000-80,000 miles thereafter.....just because it's relatively cheap and easy.

YMMV

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just read aug.9 for vaxxed americans