1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changes in 2017 Model 2?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Tandem Rider, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Tandem Rider

Tandem Rider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My sister-in-law bought a 2017 Prius 2 in January. Unfortunately, she totaled it a couple of weeks ago. She was not badly hurt and the wrecker driver marveled how the passenger compartment held up. Last week she bought another 2017 Prius 2. She says the new Prius has a more elaborate Safety Sense with more sensors on the bumper and it beeps when she puts it in the garage. I have not seen the new car. Did Toyota change the Safety Sense during the 2017 model run? Thanks!

RCO likes this.
  2. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes Prius 2 and above produced since April 1st now all include the Safety Plus Package if they didn't already have it. This package consists of Blind Spot Monitor, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, and Intelligent Clearance Sonar with Intelligent Parking Assist. Adding to the features in TSS-P which they already had - Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, Auto High Beams and Full-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control

#2 Since2002, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    pilotgrrl, Tandem Rider, RCO and 2 others like this.
  3. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to hear your S-I-L was in an accident, glad she wasn't badly hurt!

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Since2002 is correct. There was some additional safety features added to Trim Two that were previously not available for Trim Two.

5. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interestingly the mid-year changes are still not reflected on Toyota's website, but I suppose that's because there could still be some older 2017's in inventory at some dealers. Also to be more specific the affected models are Two, Three, Three Touring, Four and Four Touring.

Four and Four Touring already had Blind Spot Monitor and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert as standard, however Intelligent Clearance Sonar and Intelligent Parking Assist were previously only available with the Premium Convenience Package (only available in Four and Four Touring), the package which includes Safety Connect and JBL speakers.

Two Eco does not get the upgraded safety features, neither does the One (introduced at the same time as these changes).

One cosmetic mid-year change is that Two now gets two-tone wheel covers. Previously two-tone was available only on Three and Four (and oddly Two Eco).

Assuming that I have all of the facts correct, below is a comparison of safety features before and after April 1st:

PRIUS ONE
    2017.5 TSS-P

PRIUS TWO ECO
    2017.0 TSS-P
    2017.5 TSS-P

PRIUS TWO
    2017.0 TSS-P
    2017.5 TSS-P, BSM, RCTA, ICS, IPA

PRIUS THREE, PRIUS THREE TOURING
    2017.0 TSS-P

PRIUS FOUR, PRIUS FOUR TOURING
    2017.0 TSS-P, BSM, RCTA (ICS, IPA as part of Premium Convenience Package)

#5 Since2002, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    RCO and Tideland Prius like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    pilotgrrl likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    pilotgrrl, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're slipping. Does that mean we need to halve your pay? :LOL:

pilotgrrl, RCO and Tideland Prius like this.
  9. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What option changes occurred mid-year? If you are referring to the reduced price for the Premium Convenience Package on the Four and Four Touring (I just can't bring myself to calling it PCP) that is just reflecting that ICS and IPA were removed from that package since ICS and IPA are now standard on the Fours.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is difficult searching on my phone but I remember a bumper appearance package (?) for the Trim Two. Previously there were no options for the Trim Two.
    Since I am not currently in the market for a new car I did not look very closely.

11. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably the Appearance Package: Piano Black Side Skirt Panels, Two-Toned (Black and Gunmetal) Front and Rear Bumper. On Toyota's website the $1,410 Appearance Package is available on the Two, Three and Four. The $1,540 Appearance Package which also adds Gunmetal Wheel Inserts is available on Three Touring and Four Touring.

The Appearance Package is not available on the One or the Two Eco. If you are saying that prior to mid-year it was also not available on the Two then that would be a change. None of the other mid-year changes seem to be reflected on the Toyota website, for example Four and Four Touring still shows the Premium Convenience Package at its original price of $1,705 and as including ICS and IPA, even though at mid-year those two features were made standard and the package price reduced to $1,205. As I mentioned probably they left the website as is because of older 2017's on some lots, and anyway all of the other mid-year changes would be "happy surprises" as purchasers get them without asking and whether or not they know about them. However if someone who is buying a Two didn't know that the Appearance Package is now available they wouldn't order it, so that could explain why at least that one mid-year change is reflected on the website.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    the Two had no options and none of the 2017 TSS-P safety features were even available on the 2016 Two.