1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CHANGING 12V WITHOUT LOOSING INTERNAL DATA

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bob749prius, Nov 25, 2012.

1. bob749prius

bob749prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I AM GOING TO CHANGE OUT THE 12V BATTERY BUT DON'T WANT TO LOOSE THE CURRENT SETTINGS. I UNDERSTAND ONE CAN PUT A 12V JUMPER VIA THE ENGINE BATTERY CONNECTIONS MY QUESTION IS THIS:

CAN I ATTACH TO THE SAME LOCATIONS IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT (+ AND A -) A BATTERMINDER OR 12 VOLT 1 AMP CHARGER AND BE SAFE TO KEEP THAT ON WHILE I REMOVE AND THEN INSTALL THE 12 VOLT BATTER??

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I would just attach the new 12v battery at the jump terminals, then remove the old one being careful not the let the "+" battery cable touch any metal or sparks will fly". Then assuming that the old one still has a bit of life left, attach your old battery in parallel with the new one, disconnect the new one and then install it.

I just let the resets occur when I installed my Optima Yellow Top and my old battery now serves to start my 7 kw generator as required (it was for "Sandy").

JeffD

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you have a 2012+ Prius v wagon?

In future, it's best to NOT TYPE IN ALL CAPS. It's akin to SHOUTING.