1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing Engine and Inverter Coolant

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bonanzoo, Jul 1, 2019.

1. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The initial flush is 100k and then every 50k. Why is the first flush 100k and not 50k? Can I wait until 200k for my next flush? If I do wait that long, am I risking excessive wear and tear on the engine and inverter or will I be fine. Lastly, how often do I change the transaxle fluid as this is not listed on the maintenance schedule. I just changed it at 120k. Thanks!

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Deposits don't get stuck to the inner walls until later in life- or so the theory goes. So you can get away with the first 100k on one load of coolant, but future changes have to be closer together. Theoretically you could scrub out all of those deposits and keep the coolant longer, but in practice there is no physical access. You'd never be able to scrub all needed areas without a ludicrous amount of disassembly and reassembly.

As far as the ATF goes? As you've seen Toyota doesn't publish a replacement guideline. They think it will last forever. Given that they're the ones on the hook for warranties (some reaching to 150k miles in some conditions, yet building them all the same) I figure they aren't dumb- it really does have a shot at lasting forever.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with doing a change or two over the life of the car. Done right it won't hurt a bit and will give the driver peace-of-mind.

bonanzoo likes this.
  3. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thank you for explaining this! I'll just change the coolant every 50k and 80k for the transaxle. I can afford $200-$300 dollar maintenance every 50k but I certainly cannot afford a new inverter.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to throw oil on the fire: if you read the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet very carefully, especially footnote #3 on the 100K service, the inverter coolant is supposed to be left to 150K.

bigrin and bonanzoo like this.