1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing headlamp bulbs on Prius Gen 1, possibilities?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Sandy Meyers, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Changing headlamp bulbs on Prius Gen 1, possibilities?

Does anyone know if it’s possible to convert the existing bulb to an LED bulb? What are the options? I’m attaching a photo from the manual on the bulbs for the 2002 Prius. Looks like it’s takes an HB2 halogen.

I’ve got the bumper down right now with 93,000 miles on my 2002 Prius while I’m doing an inverter pump replacement and and wondering if I should also do any bulb changes at this time. How long do the original lamps last? Most of my driving has been daytime. Any suggestions?

Also the headlamps are incredibly hazy and I’ve cleaned it a few times over the years as new products came on the market but it’s been a few years now. Since it appears Toyota discontinued this replacement part, any suggestions on a particular product to restore the plastic cover to a clearer condition?

Many thanks on all your good tips!

Attached Files:

#1 Sandy Meyers, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  2. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Amurican they're 9003 bulbs. I don't think there's a lot to be gained with LED replacements. You'll see a lot better if you polish, or have polished the headlight plastic. If they're hazy, it's like the light is pointing into fog and bouncing back. And halogen bulbs do degrade over time. so while it's fairly handy, you might replace them with halogen. here's a nice, fresh article about bulbs: The 4 Brightest H4 Bulbs – Best 9003, HB2 Headlight Reviews 2017

3. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you already have the bumper cover off, you can remove the headlights and take them to any body shop and ask them to sand them and shoot some clear coat on. If you've put the cover back on, they can mask around the lights and fix them. Should be pretty cheap either way.

Sandy Meyers likes this.
  4. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That’s good to know, many thanks.

I picked up a 3M product for sanding with a drill but I don’t think it has any clear coat or protectant product included in the package.

Attached Files:

reddogpatch likes this.
  5. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Posting to correct myself. I installed LED headlites in my Porsche and boy are they bright.

Sandy Meyers likes this.
  7. Hipstor

Hipstor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FireFighterHill likes this.