1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing heater flap blender motor

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nhtech, Oct 14, 2019.

1. nhtech

nhtech New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    My daughters 2013 Prius C has no heat. First I inspected it, ran all the controls on the heater a/c unit and it started blowing heat again, but stopped the next day. Can't seem to get it to work again. Checked the antifreeze, aux pump, eliminated that as a possible cause, heater core lines both in and out are hot, so it's not mechanically engine related. Check movement of the baffle actuators, and the one that controls the mixer doesn't move. I attempted to remove the blower case that allows access to the 2 actuators which are on the passenger side lower footwell area of the heater case, I removed all the bolts and screws from the blower case attached to the heater case after removing the blower fan and fresh air-recycling air actuator along with all the rt side dash panels, but could only get the case to wiggle a little bit, making me think that there is something attaching it I could not see. Has anyone else attempted this repair, or have information on how to do it? I called the dealer and they wouldn't even give me a idea on what diagnosis or repair would be to get the actuator replaced. Help! .

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're brave to start taking dash apart... Also consider that those systems work best with max air flow... Am assuming you already checked, but clogged cabin air filter is the first step. Also try running it without filter for maximum force of air. If that gets it working then finding spots to clean and lubricate, as well as exercising it to loosen it up.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  4. nhtech

nhtech New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The filter is good, that was the first thing I removed. What has me-baffled-lol, is that it worked for one day, then didn't work again. I tried the hi to low heat control with fan on highest setting, every button and combination on the heater controls. Nothing seemed to work. Still cold.
    My background is autobody repair, so dash removal is no problem as I have changed over 100 different airbags over my career, all requiring some sort of dash disassembly. The last 22 years I worked in the insurance field, but still worked on cars. My wife drives a Yaris, and have has issues with both blender and vent sticking here in St Louis because of running the a/c from April-October before needing heat again. Other than a couple screws, one for the trim around the storage pocket above the glove box, and a bolt behind the rt side lower kick panel once the trim is removed, everything on the rt side dash pops off with clips. The fan blower case is the issue. Once that is removed, you can access the 2 actuators for the blend and heat-a/c baffles. I can see the small gear for the baffle, and the larger gear on the actuator, but can't move it with a screwdriver. A friend has All Data, I'm going today to see if it can shed light on how to remove the case. The air recycling actuator is on the rt side of the blower case and is easily removed. Wish that was the one I needed to fix.

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You'd think after all these years someone would of designed an auto air duct cleaning system similar to what they do in houses? Of course I live in PNW where tree debris is the main cause of this system failing... Perhaps in the mid-west it's more based on heat & freeze damage?

6. nhtech

nhtech New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I fixed the heater damper actuator. Not an easy job. Per Toyota, you need to remove the dash, all brackets, then remove the complete heater -a/c unit, then dissemble and replace the actuator behind the blower case. I removed half the dash to access the blower case, then removed the fan motor, then took the blower case apart in the 3 pieces that it's made of, removing each part as I went, and only then can you access the 2 actuators that run the baffles. It's a 14 hour job per the repair manual with drain and refill antifreeze, a/v evac and recharge.. $2000 to replace an actuator is crazy. It took me 7 hours, mostly the time to install the blower case parts, and an hour to find a screw I dropped that ended up under the carpet..lol. It's not an easy job, especially when you have to time both the actuators to work properly. Luckily Mitchell Repair services online had the factory illustrations and info on what to do. And it works!!.

PriusCamper and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!

might be the toughest job on a prius. at that point, i'll probably trade mine in.

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How much was the replacement part?

9. nhtech

nhtech New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    So an update on the blender actuator repair., heater worked perfect all winter, then this spring-no A/C! Turns out I learned something. DO NOT TURN THE LOWER GEAR on the blender door. If you turn it, the gear disengages from the blender flap, and it's heat only. I bought a LKQ heater assembly for $75 from a salvage yard, took it apart to see how it worked, and found out what happened. I took the heater apart again, engaged the gear into the blender flap, timed the gears for both actuators- I have the illustration if anyone needs it-and put it back together again. Less time this tome to repair-5 hours- and now works perfectly. I can see why this is a $2000 job at a dealership. I ended up using the low mileage actuators not replaced as well as the blower motor so I don't have to do this again. If anyone needs help woth this repair, just send me a message and I can help you through the repair.

skayaks and PriusCamper like this.
  10. V Rob

V Rob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for sharing this information. My defogger failed on my 2012 Prius V and I discovered the large plastic gear that contols the flaps has fallen off the shaft. The blower box obscures sight of the gear, so I can't snap it back into place, nor line up the gear teeth correctly. I tried to remove the blower box but after removing about 7 fasteners, it wouldn't budge. I was planning to just lock the defroster flap open so the windsheild will stay clear. Also the heat takes 10 minutes to warm up, and no air comes out of the foot or defroster vents. I'll bring a roll of paper towels with me, and just forget about the repair.

Do you have any advice otherwise? This is a beater with 210,000 miles.